New Member, New Questions! :)

AlineD

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Wyoming
Hi all,
I have wanted chickens forever, and after several years, my family is now in a position now to be able to raise them! So, I just acquired four 2-week-old white leghorns, and I want to add a few more. On Friday, I will be picking up six two or three-day-old chicks (3 barred rocks and 3 buff orpingtons). Can I immediately integrate the younger chicks with the older ones, or do I need to separate them and introduce them slowly?

Thanks so much, any advice appreciated. I am so new at this!

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Congratulations on getting into poultry
D.gif

images

Welcome to BYC!

Congrats on the new babies! 2 weeks is about the limit that you can add new chicks without too much issues. Any older and yes, it can sometimes be trouble. But I think you will be ok. You will need to hold off on lowering your heat for the 2 week olds. I would keep your heat around 90 in the brooder. The older chicks should be able to handle it and the younger ones can snuggle with the older ones if they are cool. Make sure your brooder is large enough not only for the additions, but so there are cool spots along the edges of the brooder so the older ones can cool off if they need it. So keep the heat off to one side and the food and water on the cool side.

If you need any tips and hints on raising your new broods, stop by our learning center here on BYC for lots of good reads on all the aspects of keeping poultry...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy your new babies and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TwoCrows gave you some good advice about combining them. If the new chicks were shipped / just got to the store if they seem stressed I would consider keeping them separate for a day or two.

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom