New member, newly chicken obsessed

:welcome It’s wonderful to have you here!
Chickens do easily win your heart. Even if you have a hundred, they are going to entertain and make you laugh.
I currently have three boys. I don’t fear them, and have had only one rooster in all these years that was annoying with his crowing.
Good luck with your mission to raise rare breeds!

Welcome to BYC!

you’re in good company, we all like chickens!

roosters: do you have young children? If so, I’d vote NO roosters. Young children’s faces are right at perfect attack height. In addition, you don’t want the kid scarred for life, figuratively or actually. There ARE mild roosters, and you would have better luck getting one that is over a year old that you can get honest information about his temperament post-puberty. They are interesting to watch and nice to hear. It is not nice to be attacked and they often do so when your back is turned, so it’s a surprise. We have 4 males currently. We will sell the oldest one (22 month old) in the spring - he has some human aggression traits (I’m his primary focus but leaves the Middle-school aged kid alone). The next one is 9 months old and so far has no human aggression. Then two 5 month olds...puberty age. Today lots of male goings on: youngest ones being chased by the 9 month old, sometimes reprimanded by the oldest, and some of the older hens teaching the younger ones a few lessons too. Quite entertaining, overall.
Good lick!

78682B75-14B8-4993-97B2-E595DDAFEF23.png
Welcome to BYC! Pull up a roost and join the fun!

Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! You don't look crazy around here. If we accused you of that, we'd have to admit we're crazy too! :lau Roosters are easily misunderstood and often difficult to raise. I haven't had very good luck myself, but I'm trying again right now with two just reaching that unpredictable hormonal stage. It's touch and go right now. I recommend reading some articles on them. @Shadrach has a really good one. A lot of threads come up if you search the forums for "rooster behavior". I would recommend waiting until you have learned more about them. Good luck!:fl

Welcome to chicken keeping and BYC, @BkMamma2chick! I vote you get roosters! Mine do make a lot of noise, but they are great alarms, and plus there will soon be chicks!

Edit: and Happy New Years!
Thank you for the encouragement! I think the girls need one. We have about an acre of land (fenced in completely) that during the spring they had complete domain over. But now that the winter rolled around we had 3 very close calls with hawks. No one got hurt but it was pure dumb luck that we were there. I’ve now taken to keeping them locked up for safety. But I think a rooster might relieve some of the pressure. Been searching for a liege fighter roo. Found a couple threads on here that have me super excited.

Hello and welcome to BYC :wee! You've joined an amazing site with wonderful people and a wealth of information. I vote yes to a rooster. I have 6 roosters- one was not so friendly at one time, but I think he now knows who is boss. I still watch him closely when I go into the pen and coop. My orpington roos, Isbar roo, and German Bieldfelder roo are super sweet...guess I got lucky! The 55 Flowery roo...not so friendly.

Back
Top Bottom