New member of chicken club

Mrs Lackford

In the Brooder
May 30, 2020
Good morning BYC!

(1)(2)(3)I am a brand new (4 weeks in) chicken keeper with what appear to be 3 very happy ISA Browns. 5 eggs so far, expecting two more today and waiting on the youngest/smallest (named Mouse) to start laying.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? - I love most animals, but find that chickens are full of joy and have a lovely mixture of predictable and unpredictable behaviours that make them continually entertaining!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Paddleboarding, canoeing, mountaineering, generally non chicken friendly adventurous outings!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We have Mayble the cat (who is petrified of the chickens - they charge at her whenever she enters the garden), and Tizzy the Labrador who just wants to play with them all the time (help!!) unfortunately she is a gun dog so I don’t think it would end well for the chickens - trying to work on this but not sure there is a real solution - they seem unable to share the garden. We also have a load of fish and the garden houses wild hedgehogs. There will be an additional puppy in the near future and

My husband and I are both airline pilots - during lockdown we are at home all the time and it will stay that way for quite a while - when we do go back to work we generally struggle to maintain routines because the timings of our days can be all over the place - expecting this to present a challenge to the chickens because I’ve read they generally like having things done at the same time each day. Grateful for any advice!!

Back
Top Bottom