New member of the flock

Puffinluffin

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Hello BYC community :)

Friendly introduction. I'm Ali and I've come here for advice and knowledge on how to raise chickens.

My daughter wanted some Silkie bantams for her birthday. So we recently came into possession of two beautiful silkies. I have a hen and a rooster.

Now, theyre 2years old already, were pets but lived strictly outside. Because of the winter we have them indoors we've made a coop inside of a desk so it's private safe and hidden . The rooster is surprisingly very docile. The hen... Not so much she pecks bites, chirps and eyeballs us hard. Ha, I realize we need to give them space to get comfortable, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips On making them more comfortable in our home with our busy schedule and if it's a lost cause because they're two already... (please tell me that's not the case).

Nice to meet you!!
:)

Last edited:
Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

I have never kept chickens indoors before, unless I was brooding them. My birds have weathered out the most brutal of cold snaps over the years and I am sure they would be jealous to know that there are birds out there that CAN come inside during cold weather!
lol.png

You might want to check into this active House Chicken thread and talk about your house babies with others that have birds that live in doors on a daily basis....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/299187/people-with-house-chickens

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TwoCrows gave you good advice, good luck with your house chickens. Your hen may also be going broody, silkies are quite broody and they can get rather testy. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/broody-hens

Must be what it is.. Does she need an egg? Hah.. She doesn't sit on a 'nest' all day or even really sit at all.. To an amateur she just seems angry Haha.

Welcome to BYC! Your chickens sure are lucky, I have 11 chicks that I'm raising in the garage and I can't WAIT to get them outside lol.

Haha I imagine if I had 11 I'd be impatiently waiting for the same thing haha.:p

Back
Top Bottom