New member; quail owner

quailslabyrinth

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2024
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I actually don't have chickens, I have quails! I got my first ones in August 2023 so it's been less than a year. I'm gonna change the rest of the questions from 'chickens' to 'quail' to make things easier lol
(2) How many quail do you have right now?
I unfortunately am down to one quail at the moment but I have been keeping 2 hens at a time so far. I am planning on getting another but plans are on hold for the moment because we are doubting whether our one quail truly is a hen due to the sounds it has started making recently.
(3) What breeds do you have?
Coturnix.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard quail?
I keep mine purely for the purpose of enjoyment/as pets, though any eggs we get are definitely appreciated. So my favorite part is watching and listening to them.

- - -

The quail are my only pets right now but I plan on getting rats and a dog in the future. I live in a suburban neighborhood in PNW (USA) with houses on both sides but a nice backyard and woods behind us and the adorable featherballs have been a nice way to get myself outside more and they're so quiet so they don't bother any neighbors. I've lurked on BYC many times since I got my quail to find more information about them and decided I might as well finally make an account since I come here so often.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240409-180224_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240409-180224_Photos.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20240409-180458_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240409-180458_Photos.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3212.jpg
    IMG_3212.jpg
    911.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I actually don't have chickens, I have quails! I got my first ones in August 2023 so it's been less than a year. I'm gonna change the rest of the questions from 'chickens' to 'quail' to make things easier lol
(2) How many quail do you have right now?
I unfortunately am down to one quail at the moment but I have been keeping 2 hens at a time so far. I am planning on getting another but plans are on hold for the moment because we are doubting whether our one quail truly is a hen due to the sounds it has started making recently.
(3) What breeds do you have?
Coturnix.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard quail?
I keep mine purely for the purpose of enjoyment/as pets, though any eggs we get are definitely appreciated. So my favorite part is watching and listening to them.

- - -

The quail are my only pets right now but I plan on getting rats and a dog in the future. I live in a suburban neighborhood with houses on both sides but a nice backyard and woods behind us and the adorable featherballs have been a nice way to get myself outside more and they're so quiet so they don't bother any neighbors. I've lurked on BYC many times since I got my quail to find more information about them and decided I might as well finally make an account since I come here so often.
Welcome. Which one of these 3 is the one still alive?
Two look like males to me.

Back
Top Bottom