1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new member question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by girlonthefarm, Jul 30, 2011.

1. girlonthefarm

girlonthefarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Hi! I am new to chickens, and have never joined a forum before so I hope I am doing this right. I have been 'lurking' trying to get educated and find answers to my questions. Most of the time I find what I needed to know, but decided to join so I can ask a few more specific questions. We bought 12 chicks from the local feed store this spring. 6 BR's and 6 Amerecanas (which after reading posts I believe are really EE's). When we bought them they were between 1 - 2 weeks. We are approaching 20 weeks on Aug 1st. 3 of the rocks have well developed red face, comb and wattle, the other 3 are progressing. For the last 3 days one of the rocks has sat on the plastic egg in the nest and made a lot of racket. Is this normal behavior when approaching the egg laying time? Does this mean she will be broody? Maybe hormones? Do I need to worry she is egg bound? the noise is not constant and she seems comfortable. The other question I have is about the EE's. I have not found any reference to how old they will be before they will lay eggs? Is there some physical change as in the BR's? We are going out of town for a couple of days and hope not to miss THE event. Thanks for your help.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! It's normal.. They are getting ready to lay that's for sure and it's great they found the nest boxes right away!! [​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hello and welcome to BYC![​IMG]. It must be normal behavior. I'm have the same exact issue with my 20 week old rhode island red. She's been doing this for 2 days and still no egg. I hope you don't miss your first egg while your away. Good luck!

4. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

WELCOME ABOARD. they're just being chickens sit back and enjoy them.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    EE's do lay a bit later, or at least mine did, I think around 24 or 26 weeks. They're such individuals that in the end it's just a matter of waiting, anyway. Here's hoping yours lay soon!

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. Patients [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG] Waiting is so hard, I am tickled we got these production reds, they started laying at 14 weeks. I now can relax a bit and let the others develop, my EE are only 12 weeks old, it is easier to wait w the others laying!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I have a couple of EE's and they are 18 wks and they haven't started laying yet either. [​IMG]

10. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    Welcome from SE GA. MY ladies haven't started laying yet either, but it is still fun to watch them do their thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by