New member, unique situation!

playrough87

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 19, 2015
Big Pine Key, Florida
Hello, All!
I have been lurking around this website for months! I've been researching and thinking and grappling with my wants/needs. This weekend, we finally bought our first hatching eggs! I have a fairly extensive background with animals, as I spent my summers growing up on a horse farm in North Georgia (horses and llamas), was neighbor to a cow farm and chicken breeder, raised various pets all my life, and have recently raised a flock of ducks with my husband.
We are excited for our eggs, expected this week. Here's what's unique about us. Our first chickens are pure Ayam Cemani from the Greenfire Farms bloodlines (not directly from their farm). We have an incubator awaiting their arrival, and a brooding box for when they hatch. We will begin building a custom coop for them from scratch, as soon as they hatch and we know how many chickens we need to immediately house. Our chickens will free-range around our large fenced yard during the day, and be cooped at night with a small run. The second part of our "uniqueness" is a location in the Florida Keys. Does anyone else on this forum live in or raise chickens in the Keys?
Thank you all! Any advice will be very much appreciated, as all the research in the world will not give you all of the answers and prepare you for everything!

Turkenstein25pizapw1421684361.jpg

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Definitely do some posting in your state thread to see how your chicken neighbors do things.

Good luck with your hatch and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatch.

Back
Top Bottom