New member Washington State

I can't run the risk as I've been working for a couple years now on the preservation and improvement on the Sicilians. They haven't had any new bloodlines since the 1970s so it's a grueling process. I know of only one other person on the west coast named Benjamin Janicki that is trying to preserve them also. I've tried tips, also they have 8 acres so my first thought is to be hardcore and tell them to figure out where to put them. She won't listen to tips or advice. My only thought as I keep records on anyone who has them it to recommend she has them euthanized at the vet's if she can't handle them. I would rather see that than have them abused or interbred or end up with dueling roosters.
If you can't take them back, because it is too dangerous, then I would recommened her to rehome or euthanized, it's a sad fate, but you can't risk all your years of work for a few birds and a lady not wanting to spend time intigrating. I would recommened her trying to rehome before culling, but if she doesn't have patience for integration she probably doesn't have it for rehoming either. Being humanely culled is better than getting pecked to death.

Also I would NOT sell to her again.

What I meant is I can't run the risk of cross contamination in my flock which is finally up to 7 roosters and 29 hens. Even though they have all been vaccinated if anything new was brought back it could wipe out my whole flock whom I dearly love. ( feathered kids)
I understand this. My birds are feahtered children as well. You can't put them all at risk because of her lack of patience.

:welcome

Hello, that is a tricky situation with the buyer. You've tried giving her tips and assistance but it sounds like she isn't willing to listen. I wouldn't take them back for fear of passing something on to your flock. If the money isn't an issue for you, I'd refund her money but leave it up to her to figure out what to do with the birds. And as already said, don't sell to her again.

Sorry you're in this mess. Hope things work out for you!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Unfortunately, you cannot make people do anything they don't want to do. Those birds are out of your control. If she mixes them with her own flock and they are bred by other roosters there is nothing you can do about it.
I would write them out of your breeding program as lost to predators. I would not take them back either as you have spent a lot of time building up your breeding flock and it isn't worth the risk to your flock even if you quarantine which is a large undertaking in and of itself.
Good luck.

Welcome to BYC from Arizona! This is the place to be for all your chicken news, connections to fabulous fowl folks and more!

Thank you for sharing this story with us. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. This is one of the things I'm concerned about if I ever sell or even give birds away even to people I know.

I know of another rare breeder who has a facebook group (closed group - you have to answer questions on the breed & ask to be admitted) of others trying to conserve that dual purpose breed. I don't know if starting a group or belonging to a group like that might help you find more experienced or like-minded people to sell to in the future. Even though it's a closed group there are a few members who don't understand that breeding/conservation requires culling (rehoming or in the typical way) and there is occasional heated discussion on this aspect of conservation. This rare breed is dual purpose - it was bred for meat and eggs - the original breed goals assume culling.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome... Emma offered some valuable advice. That's a tough situation! I wish I was more experienced to offer more help. It would be kind on your end to offer a refund but I'd imagine if it were me, I'd be clenching my teeth at the circumstances but, this is why people have purchasing agreements etc. But as @DobieLover mentioned...
Unfortunately, you cannot make people do anything they don't want to do. Those birds are out of your control.
Once they leave, you don't have much control over what they ultimately do. @CaroleW Mentioned a group, and maybe that's an option? You can't expect every buyer to value the breed as much as you do so, maybe it would be something to consider, selling to serious buyers who share similar values to preserve the breed.
I'm not sure but sending lots of positive vibes your way!
I hope for the best in your situation.

Back
Top Bottom