New member, will be a chicken owner soon again (yay)

javaferret

Chirping
Jun 23, 2015
Oregon
Hi, I figured while I am waiting to move from California to Oregon, I would start researching chicken related stuff again. I haven't had chickens for about 12 years, and finally moving somewhere where I will be able to have them again. I ordered Story's chicken guide, think I must of had the first edition back when I started my love of chickens.

I am planning to order chicks next spring, in order to get the breeds I want as well as build a great coop for them. Thinking I would like to try out the cream leg bars and spitzhausens, and probably a couple of australops for good measure. I had Easter Eggers, polish and silkies before and they were all great fun, the easter eggers were defiantly my favorite for personality as well as pretty eggs. I always gravitate to the more interesting looking chickens as they really are pets with benefits. My last chickens lasted 5 years till a fox came and wiped out all but two one night.

I would love to hear if anyone has had the legbars or spitzhausens, and what hatcheries people use and like out in the westcoast area. My last chickens came from McMurry, and I liked them, but worry that it may be too far to ship to Oregon.

So off I go to lurk around and catch up on all things chicken :) I am so excited!

Welcome!

Im just catching up myself and got my coop built this spring. It really is a blast to have chickens so any help you need this site has it. The coop section gave me great ideas to make my second coop so id recommend checking it out. Good luck!

Since you like the more interesting chicken breeds - have you ever seen Showgirls, they are a variety of silkies but, don't look like any silkies you may have had. Put showgirl thread in the search box and you'll see what I mean. They are said to have the silkie personality and broodiness.

LOL ok I just looked up the showgirls, that is hilarious, silkies with style! I remember thinking about the naked necks, but decided against it, the skin just kinda makes me want to put sunscreen on them. I really seem to like my chicken with more feathers, Loved my bearded silkies, my EE with muffs, and of course my crazy buff laced polish girls. The polish for me are too flighty, so after some research I thought the Spitzhausen would be right up my alley, they forage, they have awesome feathered tops, but seem more friendly than the polish. I do love their striking color pattern as well.

I have to say this site is amazing, so much information, and so many active members it is a goldmine of knowledge and first hand experience. I look fwd to reading about more chickens, and coops!

Welcome to BYC!

If you haven't seen it yet, check out the breed reviews here. These are written by members that actually have them (and not someone just trying to sell you something). Very interesting and some good pictures...it's a fun section:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

It's nice you're able to get back to chickens and nice to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom