New member with a few questions!

1stcarver

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
Hello every one! I'm fairly new here, and had some questions about my flock. I've had them now for about 2 months, and got them from another person that had to move, and couldn't keep them. I'm posting up some pictures in hopes that the breeds I have can be identified, and possibly what age they are. I have 4 chickens that are laying right now, I call them domenickers, but don't really know what breed they really are. I would also like to know at what age the red, and white chickens will start to lay, as well as how old they are. Thanks in advance for any help you folks can give me.

Please excuse some of the blurry photos, my camera lens was fogging up, had to keep wiping it off. Again, thanks in advance for any help you folks can provide.

To me the breed isn't as important as the eggs, so I still need an educated guess as to age of the white chickens, and the red ones. Are they layers, or bound for a pie? How old do they have to be to lay eggs?

Welcome to BYC! Those girls are adults and at that point it is very hard to tell their exact age. They look like they should be laying at any time. Do you have adequate nesting boxes? Do they free-range? My guess would be that they black and white ones are barred rocks, white is a white rock and the red ones are probably production reds. All of these breeds are excellent layers! How long did your friend have them? If they are several years old that may be why you are not seeing eggs, most hatchery birds stop laying after 3 years or so, shorter for the production birds. Good luck

Thanks! Still working on the coop, but I have 4 laying at this time. The 4 barred rocks. I know that the white, and red chickens were added to the original 4, the barred rocks. But I don't know how long they had all the birds before I got them. I have to guess that the red, and white chickens are much younger than the original 4. They said that after the barred rocks started laying they wanted more eggs, so bought 10 more.

Back
Top Bottom