New member with a question about guineas

mary14889

Chirping
Aug 20, 2021
I have a problem that I doubt has been discussed here. I have a guinea hen sitting on a very well hidden nest (almost three weeks now), not so far from the house that we can't occasionally hear her and she comes out once a day to get something to eat and visit her mate, that is up until today. When I went to let the chooks out this morning he was lying dead on the floor of the coop. No "fowl" play evident. I suspect that he may have suffered a ruptured liver- happened to a hen of mine once. He was a big (and beautiful) bird and when he came down from the roost he always landed with a heavy thud against the opposite wall. DK why he had to fly down and not simply jump. But anyway, when she came out and didn't find him today, you should have heard the wailing. She apparently did go back to her nest after visiting the coop. I wonder if I should get another male for company. Would she bond with him in her status as a laying hen? Would he accept the chicks or try to destroy them? Her former mate was very protective of her- they were a tight pair. He was acting like an expectant father, patiently waiting for her and her babies. I am distraught, too. Thank you for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom