New member with a question about guineas

If you haven't already post your question in the guineas section. Am I correct in assuming you don't have other guineas, or is it just that the others are paired? Sorry I don't know the social habits of guineas. Do you know if males take an active role in raising the keets?
No I didn't post in the guineas section- I'm new to this and am not sure how to find it. Perhaps I should post again there? Yes, I just had the two. And no, I don't know what role a male guinea plays. This is the first time it looks like the hen may have a chance to hatch her eggs. I've learned that having two hens they would share the duty of sitting on the nest. In this circumstance they would also keep each other company. Perhaps for now I should just get another hen. Perhaps my guinea would be happy to find a new friend.

the roole of the maale is to protect the female while shes in the nest
Yes, he was very watchful. Her nest is over on my neighbor's side of the fence in tall grass and weeds that he hasn't mowed (and I've asked him not to for this long month). Mr Guinea would patrol the fence and be there to greet her when she would come back over for a visit to the coop to eat and drink. They would sometimes talk back and forth over the fence. She hadn't made a peep all day so I didn't know if she was still alive so I talked over the fence to her and shortly thereafter she came out under the fence in the spot that we propped up for her. She was very upset when he wasn't there today.

and would help her out as well as the male dying it completely normal they get all sorts of weird virusus that can kill thjem
He seemed very healthy- no signs of any weakness the day before. In fact, when she rejoined him on her daily outing, he went into protective mode and was chasing off all the chickens around. I don't think he had a virus.

Back
Top Bottom