New Member with a question

iasc300

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
Linden, IA
Hello new member here and I just have a question to ask the pros here. I have been searching this site for a couple weeks and decided to join today.
The question is I bought 12 RIR pullets from TSC and 2 of them are way darker and feathering way faster than the rest of them. Are these chicks RIR's or roosters? I cant seem to find the answer out and im kind of confused. Here is a picture of them. The 2 in question are the ones eating the food. Thanks for all your help if helping me figure this out.

IMG_6770.jpg

as you can see they look completely different than the others

Last edited:
They were all bought from the RIR pullet box. Do you think they miss marked them? So I guess im trying to clarify the 2 darker ones look like RIR's and the other 10 look like some other breed?

Fred's Hens :

The lighter colored chicks are not RIR. Hopefully, they are a gold sex link, and all pullets. You got them out of the "pullet bin"??? Assorted red pullets, or some such label?

Yes I got them from the Pullet bin. It was marked RIR pullets. They also had another bin marked assorted pullets and another marked assorted bantams. So I asked the lady there for 12 RIR pullets from the bin and watched her take them out but I noticed as I looked in the bin there were not very many dark ones like the 2 in the picture. Most were the light color but I figured they were just a little bit older so they were darkening up.
I feel kinda of cheated right now that they are not RIR pullets. I researched for months on the perfect breeds for what Im looking for and I drove all over till I found some that were available. Is there any way to find out what kind they are?

Thanks everyone for your help, Its greatly appreciated. I also bought 25 BO pullets from the same store, so I really hope those are BO's.​

Last edited:
In my experience, production red hens are fabulous layers. If egg is what you were wanting, they will do very well for you. If you were looking for a more dual purpose bird, then they may be a bit light on the meat side.

If it were me and I really really wanted the RIRs, I'd contact the store and tell them you did not get what you paid for, nor what was advertised.

Back
Top Bottom