New Member with a Silkie Gender problem...

Crilly23

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 4, 2013
Good morning all, I just wanted to introduce myself and of course, as everyone a quick question. I have some backyard ducks and, more recently, chickens. I have a barred rock, dark Brahma and some silkies, and can't figure out if one of my Silkies is male or female. I will include some pictures of the one in questioning... if anyone can help me out that would be great! The pictures may know show enough detail, but he/she is a little hard to photograph as, unlike its brother (fairly certain on that one), doesn't like to be touched.

He/She is fairly timid, has a pretty full tail and head plumage. I'm thinking it may be a male though as it often chest bumps with my other silkie chick that I believe to be a male.. thoughts or suggestions?

welcome-byc.gif
Both sexes do the chest bump thing. Silkies are very difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age. You really need a clear, closeup of the head (showing comb) and facing the camera.

Also a profile whole body shot. You might do better to post photos on the Silkie thread. Just put that in the search box and it should pop up.

Welcome to BYC. Silkies are tough even when much older than your chick. Understand that both young pullets and cockerels chest bump and mock fight.

Back
Top Bottom