New Member with an egg question

kayavara

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 1, 2014

Hello everyone. I'm new to BYC
and I must say is been very informative!! I'm loving our newly purchased hens and our nifty "Chicken Tractor" my husband made for them. I never imagined finding those freshly laid eggs would be so exciting!! :)
Today I picked up an egg that was a bit odd. It was rough in texture with noticeable "bumps" on the shell. I very gently rinsed the egg as I have all of the others...so the pictures are of the "clean" egg. It was unlike any of the other dozen or so we've picked up so far. Should I be concerned??
Thanks..Kay

images

Welcome to BYC!

This can be caused by a couple things. Sometimes new layers do not have their egg machines in gear and can lay funky looking eggs. If this is coming from an adult hen, this looks like excess calcium on the egg with extra bloom (dye). Which is a good thing. Better too much than not enough. But either of these possibilities is nothing to worry about. Nice eggs there!

Enjoy your new flock and welcome to ours!

Thanks so much for the advice and warm welcome. I love reading all of the helpful info here. :yiipchick

Thank You Kelsey!! I appreciate the info. I try reading every night to brush up on my "ladies". It's very interesting :)

Back
Top Bottom