New Member with concern of botulism

Meherrin

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2017
Hello All. I have a Americana pullet who is coming into egg bearing age. She started showing (current) problems at least 2 weeks ago. I noticed she walked around with her wings hanging down and a change in her voice (raspy). This chicken has a history of coryza which she appeared to have recovered from 2 months ago (with Tylan 50 injections twice a day for 5 days). Not long after noticing the wings drooping I also noticed she stopped getting up on the roost of the portable pen she and 2 other chickens stay in. They free range out of the pen daily and the pen is moved every few days. Then she started having problems getting to her feet. I could stand her up, she would go about her day grazing and spending time with the other 2 chickens. I've determined she is not egg bound. Her crop was full and I gave her dried meal worms coated with olive oil. Her bowels are functioning and her appetite is present. Daily I've searched threads and on-line sources to figure out what is going on with her. I had not seen any writings on drooping wings. This morning I read about botulism poisoning and recalled how this pullet would return to areas the pen had been and pecked through remnants of spilt feed (Dumor 16 % Layer Pellets Calcium fortified). I now believe she was exposed to botulism by eating this spilt feed which have noticed tending to mold in some area where the pen had been placed. So far I have read that chickens which survive 48 hours tend to recover without treatment. Though she is well beyond the 48 hours she still has the drooping wings and is not able to right herself into a position to stand. I read about molasses flushes but had just a little molasses on hand and went ahead and gave her some dried meal worms coated with watered down molasses. Other than the raspy voice (there are no respiratory symptoms observed) which could be the result of a part of paralysis (no problems eating or drinking).

I'm asking if anyone here has successfully treated fowl for botulism poisoning. If so what was the course of treatment and the recovery time. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow So sorry you're having this issue. I'll reach out to a couple members and see if they'll take a look at your symptoms.

Welcome aboard! :frow
We are glad you joined our flock.
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Back
Top Bottom