new member with injured pekin duck

iloveducks78

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
Hi and thanks in advance to anyone who replies.... I am new at this, so bear with me. I have 3 ducks, a male rouen and a male and female pekin. I am very attached to my ducks and feel like I get little support because people don't understand why I spend so much time on "just a duck". What I need help on is my female pekin. She was attacked by a raccoon 6 weeks ago. Started out as the vet saying just a puncture wound on her knee joint, she would heal fine. It stayed swollen for a very long time, and now that the swelling is going down, it feels like her knee joint wobbles back and forth. She sometimes paddles to swim with it, and tries to put a little weight on to walk, but it's not going well. Any chance that this will heal with more time? Is there anybody with experience with this and anything I can do for this girl? She's an amazing duck and I want to give her every chance I can.

Greetings from Kansas, iloveducks78, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us but sorry to hear about your wounded duck! I think the best thing to do is to post in the following two places - the folks there can give you some helpful advice. Good luck to you and your duck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
. I don't have much ecxperience with egg injuries so I can't help you with personal experience. However ducks are very strong creatures and have bounced back from worse injuries. I would allow her to swim more often to help her build strength in her leg again.

Welcome to BYC. Is there any way that you can separate her from the drakes while she is healing? I am concerned that their mating her may be delaying the healing.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. I have her inside with me, because the drakes would have probably beaten her to death by now. She stays in a big rubbermaid tote with shavings and of course her food and water, and I put her in my spare bathtub a few times a day to swim. Then she gets out to preen and try to walk around a bit if she wants to. I've had her to the vet for a recheck, and she says that there is ligament/tendon damage that did not heal. What does a slipped tendon look like, and is there any way to fix it? It just feels like her knee is very wobbly to me. I'm so scared she is never going to get better.

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Best of luck with your duck. Hope she gets better soon!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Unfortunately if she has damage to the tendons and ligaments they are probably not going to heal much more than they have by now. Swimming would help strengthen the leg, and even with the injury she may still get by OK. However, she will be easier for predators to catch, and may have difficulty living with other ducks if they are rough with her.

There are many people here on BYC that will understand your affection for your birds, so don't feel strange about your concerns here. Glad you joined in!

Back
Top Bottom