kristi182iu

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2015
warsaw, in
hey everyone I have been reading posts since last april when I bought my first chicks. I have learned so much! My entire family enjoys having these chickens. It;s been great having the older kids getting involved too. They have a lot of personality and we are enjoying this new journey :) I am looking for some fun varieties to keep friends and family interested too. All our friends enjoy bringing their kids over to see our feather footed friends. There's just a wealth of knowledge here. Thank you everyone!

welcome-byc.gif

It's nice to hear BYC has been of help to you! What breed(s) of chickens do you have?

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! That's so nice to hear your whole family is enjoying your feathered friends :highfive: It really is a fantastic hobby that everyone can enjoy.
Do you know what breed/s you would like to add next?

Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help and by friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hi :) I bought my first batch at our local Big R store here in warsaw indiana. I have One rhode island red. two white brahmas and two tan hens but i can't remember what they are. I had 12 originally but we bought two ducks at the same time and they accidentally smothered a few. Then we had a predator snatch a few :( mine are free range all day then I lock them in at night. they are all great layers. We sure love our girls. I am looking for these next ones to add as soon as I can find them.
Cochin- i had feathered footed ones as a kid-love them
Easter eggers- had a few but they were part of the lost bunch
Polish-they look ridiculous :)
silkie-sizzle ^ same :)
carolina blue sex link ee it says-
british tailed araucana.

I didn't see any that seem aggressive. I would want to make sure they get along well.The one easter hen I had was a little aggressive but i read they usually are not...

Its crazy how much joy it brings to find those eggs everyday and the hens are hilarious! They follow my around our 6 acres like a dog. Cant wait to grow our little herd. Just not sure where to find and buy some of the ones I want. I am watching craigslist..

Hi :) I bought my first batch at our local Big R store here in warsaw indiana. I have One rhode island red. two white brahmas and two tan hens but i can't remember what they are. I had 12 originally but we bought two ducks at the same time and they accidentally smothered a few. Then we had a predator snatch a few :( mine are free range all day then I lock them in at night. they are all great layers. We sure love our girls. I am looking for these next ones to add as soon as I can find them. 
Cochin- i had feathered footed ones as a kid-love them
Easter eggers- had a few but they were part of the lost bunch
Polish-they look ridiculous :)
silkie-sizzle ^ same :)
carolina blue sex link ee it says- 
british tailed araucana.

I didn't see any that seem aggressive. I would want to make sure they get along well.The one easter hen I had was a little aggressive but i read they usually are not...

Its crazy how much joy it brings to find those eggs everyday and the hens are hilarious! They follow my around our 6 acres  like a dog.  Cant wait to grow our little herd.  Just not sure where to find and buy some of the ones I want. I am watching craigslist..
try hatcherys Meyer hatchery will let you order as few as five and you can pick and choose! Plus they are awesome folks and if you get the meal maker you get a free chick and all 26 of mine came in healthy happy and adorable plus two free chicks!!!! And I love my hens as well they are so funny and some are sweet! Would love more but my hubby said my achixtion was getting bad lol now most aw laying let's see what he say now lol good luck

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Sounds like you would be better off if you didn't free range them. You will just be replacing them often. Predators that get an easy meal will just keep coming back to the same place till they all are gone.

Back
Top Bottom