New member!!

tymcm1

Hatching
Oct 11, 2016
Hey! I'm a new member we here and just yesterday invested in some chickens! I'm not sure exactly how old they are but they seem to me they are well old enough to lay! Does anyone know if it will take a few days for them to adjust to their new environment before they begin laying eggs or should they start right away?

Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our flock! Were you told they were already laying? If so, a move usually knocks them off kilter for a few days before they resume normal laying. It's hard to tell age from the pic. They start laying around the 20-22+ week mark. Do you have a rooster or two in the mix?
Thanks for joining BYC!

Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! So glad you joined us, and I hope you enjoy it here and make yourself at home. I can not tell much from the pictures, but if they are laying, they should have bright, red, and plump combs. Their pin bones should be about 2-3 finger widths apart, and their vent large and moist. But if they have recently been re-located, they will need up to 2 weeks to get used to their new environment, so give them time. I hope you enjoy BYC, and that your chickens start laying soon!

There's no rooster they are all hens. And they are laying so I am going to see in a few days to see if they begin to lay again since they were relocated!

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

They don't look laying age yet (I'd guess maybe 14 weeks of age) and sorry, but I'm definitely seeing a cockerel or two in the mix - whoever sold them as all females was either mistaken or lying. Post some closer photos of each individual in the "What Breed or Gender is This?" section of the forum and well
help you out with who's a boy and who's a girl.

Back
Top Bottom