karebear30

Hatching
May 3, 2017
Hi my name is Kara Smith but username or screen name is karebear30. I came to this site to learn how to live with the Canadian geese that inhabit the neighborhood lakes and the lake behind our house. One of the geese has nested and getting ready to hatch her little ones in our backyard. I'm so excited! Our next door neighbor's goose that had nested right beside the fence from our yard has already hatched her babies and been walking around! They are so cute!!! Little fluff balls with legs! And my other neighbor on the other side has two nest that haven't hatched yet! My dad doesn't like the geese! He says they make too much crap that the dogs eat and he has to pick up and they are noisy! And the rest of my family agrees but I am a nature person and I love all nature!

Hi my name is Kara Smith but username or screen name is karebear30. I came to this site to learn how to live with the Canadian geese that inhabit the neighborhood lakes and the lake behind our house. One of the geese has nested and getting ready to hatch her little ones in our backyard. I'm so excited! Our next door neighbor's goose that had nested right beside the fence from our yard has already hatched her babies and been walking around! They are so cute!!! Little fluff balls with legs! And my other neighbor on the other side has two nest that haven't hatched yet! My dad doesn't like the geese! He says they make too much crap that the dogs eat and he has to pick up and they are noisy! And the rest of my family agrees but I am a nature person and I love all nature!

Kara here is a link about Geese. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/47/geese hope you enjoy it. Also welcome to BYC.

Hi Kara and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

Best wishes
CT

G’Day from down under Kara
frow.gif
Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Please do share some pictures if/when you can.

Nice to meet you Kara. I know you are a natural/animal lover but, please, please be careful around the geese, nests & their progeny. The parents are fiercely protective and very strong. You cannot imagine the damage they can do with their wings and beaks. Many years ago I was all excited to see a nesting hen and ran out with pieces of bread. The male bit me so hard on the knee that it swelled up like a golf ball, and smacked me with his wings. Never tried that again. Had no idea a goose without teeth could cause such an injury.

If you ever notice Mallards, they are the complete opposite, they do not protect their young and except for sound effects they have no defensive behavior. I think that is why they hatch so many ducklings, the losses are quite heavy.

I have never seen a loss of goslings unless the parents are killed. I think most people dislike Canadian Geese, they can produce 3 pounds of poo each, daily. They are protected as a migratory species and yet, they come and never leave. I have to say I agree with your father. They dirty up school yards, parks, golf courses, and individual homes. I consider them flying(or not) toilets.

Back
Top Bottom