I would love to free range but live on a valley's edge and have all kinds of predators around. Fox, coyote, hawks, owls, raccoons and all kinds of creatures! They must be kept inside some sort of fencing including a top.

We're almost in the same boat minus fox and raccoons. Haven't seen one up here yet. Bobcat and coyote frequent our area but haven't attempted coming on the property. Dogs do a good job keeping four legged (and two) creatures at bay.

We have owls but they'll only grab a chick or tiny pullet. It's the bald eagles I fear might scoop one of my layers up. So far my girls see so much as an airplane and they run for cover.

We're almost in the same boat minus fox and raccoons. Haven't seen one up here yet. Bobcat and coyote frequent our area but haven't attempted coming on the property. Dogs do a good job keeping four legged (and two) creatures at bay.

We have owls but they'll only grab a chick or tiny pullet. It's the bald eagles I fear might scoop one of my layers up. So far my girls see so much as an airplane and they run for cover.
I fear I wouldn't have one chicken left by summer's end around here.

We'll I'm not sure about Ohio, but in the winters where I am it gets to about -1-3 degrees and in the summer it gets about 100-105 degrees
commonly down to 0 in winter here, low to mid 90's in summer. I know they can handle the summer as long as they have shade access but I worry about them freezing in the barn in the winter. it is not a heated building. would a heat light be enough warmth in winter, and can I purchase a heat lamp that you commonly see at pet stores that are used for reptiles? Is that the right type of light or would that be a fire hazard with bedding? it would be raised off the ground of course....

What I would do is they usually have heat lamps at your local feed store and depending on the size of your coop you could have two. I have a big coop and I usually use two heat lamp near their roost. They will huddle up together and stay warm. I don't think I would try the reptile lamp though.
commonly down to 0 in winter here, low to mid 90's in summer. I know they can handle the summer as long as they have shade access but I worry about them freezing in the barn in the winter. it is not a heated building. would a heat light be enough warmth in winter, and can I purchase a heat lamp that you commonly see at pet stores that are used for reptiles? Is that the right type of light or would that be a fire hazard with bedding? it would be raised off the ground of course....

What I would do is they usually have heat lamps at your local feed store and depending on the size of your coop you could have two. I have a big coop and I usually use two heat lamp near their roost. They will huddle up together and stay warm. I don't think I would try the reptile lamp though.
Thank you. I will see what the feed store has to offer.

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

G’Day from down under Cindy :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week articles which I have found to be a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group. A few that may be of interest to you at this stage are:
Topic of the week - Winter chicken keeping
Topic of the Week - Keeping Chickens Cool in Summer
Topic of the Week - Chicken Keeping in Weather Extremes
Topic of the Week - Keeping the Flock Safe from Predators

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Best wishes and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom