cbain0432

Songster
Aug 21, 2019
Boise, Idaho
Hi from Idaho. I'm new to this forum and raising chickens. I have a dozen chickens that I bought in March. 1 have 1 Wyandote cockerel, and 11 pullets. 1 NH, 3 white LH (not laying), 3 RIR, 2 Bl SL, 1 JG (I think), 1 beauty that I can't identify. All of my girls are laying brown eggs. My cockerel mounts all of them. Don't LHs lay white eggs? They all get along great! I have fat beauties. I'm worried I feed them too much, however, they act like they're never feed. I don't have any broodie girls, when do they usually start. I would like to have more chicks. My son has started his own chickens this year too! He has 2 cockerels and different breeds than myself. Can we borrow each others roosters and broodies?

CHICKEN-MATH-FARMER-CONNIE.gif
wave high happy.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frowGlad you joined.
Pullets rarely go broody. Broodiness usually happens once they reach the age of hens. And you don't know if or when any or all of them will go broody. There is nothing you can do to influence it.
Yes, all LHs lay white eggs. Are you sure they are LHs? You can start a new thread in the Breed & Gender forum and post full body side pictures of them and your mystery girl for breed identification.
You can't really borrow a broody for the same reason you can't just toss a strange chicken into your flock. The pecking order will take over and someone is likely to get hurt! Not to mention each flock will become acclimated to the coccidia strains in the soil they are raised on. Sudden exposure to new strains can bring on coccidiosis for both the new comer and the existing flock.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frowGlad you joined.
Pullets rarely go broody. Broodiness usually happens once they reach the age of hens. And you don't know if or when any or all of them will go broody. There is nothing you can do to influence it.
Yes, all LHs lay white eggs. Are you sure they are LHs? You can start a new thread in the Breed & Gender forum and post full body side pictures of them and your mystery girl for breed identification.
You can't really borrow a broody for the same reason you can't just toss a strange chicken into your flock. The pecking order will take over and someone is likely to get hurt! Not to mention each flock will become acclimated to the coccidia strains in the soil they are raised on. Sudden exposure to new strains can bring on coccidiosis for both the new comer and the existing flock.
Swapping fertile eggs it is then. Thank you.

Hi from Idaho. I'm new to this forum and raising chickens. I have a dozen chickens that I bought in March. 1 have 1 Wyandote cockerel, and 11 pullets. 1 NH, 3 white LH (not laying), 3 RIR, 2 Bl SL, 1 JG (I think), 1 beauty that I can't identify. All of my girls are laying brown eggs. My cockerel mounts all of them. Don't LHs lay white eggs? They all get along great! I have fat beauties. I'm worried I feed them too much, however, they act like they're never feed. I don't have any broodie girls, when do they usually start. I would like to have more chicks. My son has started his own chickens this year too! He has 2 cockerels and different breeds than myself. Can we borrow each others roosters and broodies?
Welcome to BYC neighbor, nope you don't wanna do the swapping thing the hens loose pecking order and start all over if you borrow them out and if you each have more than one rooster they will end up fighting, best things to do is watch for one to go broody then trade chicks permanently, make a safe place they can easily defend and pray for a broody, outta 10 I've only had one successfully broad and the neighbors dog got her, they usually don't go broody until after their first winter over here in Idaho from what I've seen raising mine, but occasionally ya get one that will want to brood as soon as she starts laying some even sooner. if ya consider hatching in an incubator just pop me a message as I've got it figured out for Idaho elevation now lol. can also help ya out with some chicks or eggs if ya need

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom