Fillymj

Songster
Jan 5, 2020
Long Grove , IL
Hi all. Would like to say what a great site this is. Been lurking for several months doing hard core research. Run a farm in Long Grove, IL where I spent the last 30 years breeding, training, and showing horses. For a short time, 5 years, raised Charolais cattle. As always, one ages and the cattle are gone with my remaining 6 horses turned out to live their golden years.

While training my two dogs, Fergie-the boxer, and Cora-the cattledog for a Farm Dog Competition the need arose for chickens. One of the requirements was having the dog work chickens quietly and with control. Well my dogs had never seen chickens so I borrowed several from a friend. They stayed a week with us and I was enthralled.

Fast forward and ordered 8 chicks to arrive the end of March. One each of Black Australorp, Austra White, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Welsummer, Golden Buff, Barred Rock, White Rock, and Barnevelder.

Have a 1820 dairy barn that I am going to convert to the chicken coop with run connected to the barn. At one time was the milking parlor with cement floor.Coop will be 142 sq/feet and run 480 sq/feet so chickens will have plenty of room and if need be can add more feathered friends.

Enjoy gardening and have a large vegetable garden so my chickens will benefit from that paradise.

Excited about starting this new adventure and thank you to all the great members sharing their expertise. Such a wealth of knowledge. MJ

27651909-387A-4A84-A84C-2976BE32D5B4.jpeg

:frow Welcome to BYC! What a great chicken habitat you will have. I'm not sure how they will compare to having horses and dogs for you, but I know you will love them. Some people say they are trainable. I guess they are. Mine are trained to come running when I come out because I'm always bearing treats. :lau

:frow Welcome to BYC! What a great chicken habitat you will have. I'm not sure how they will compare to having horses and dogs for you, but I know you will love them. Some people say they are trainable. I guess they are. Mine are trained to come running when I come out because I'm always bearing treats. :lau
Thank you Valerie. Sure they will be fun. Looking more for the pet gig rather then breeding or training. Just liked the peacefulness of the chickens. So it will be an adventure. Keep telling myself.......I will not show my chickens !!! Think Zen...Not show.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. I would love to know how your Boxer is doing with the flock.Don't believe I've ever seen one with chickens. I know the cattle dogs can learn to work just about anything.
The Boxer did fine but more keen then I liked. He wanted to wrap the chickens up. He is highly trained with 15 working titles at the age of 4 so I was able to control him.

The cattledog was a snap. She is only a 1.5 years old but well seasoned with 4 titles. Worked her on sheep a few times and will go back to that in couple years after she finishes some other titles. Once she realized that she was to just move around the chickens she ignored them.

Thinking the Boxer will mellow after being around chickens on a daily schedule.

Trust neither to have a free go at the chickens so they will just have to watch me feed and care for the chickens outside the coop/run.

Will see. Thinking the Boxer would be great doing the herding with sheep and ducks so maybe if time allows will work on that in the future.

Back
Top Bottom