Pat Dieterichs

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2020
Hi I am Pat from Austin Texas. I grew up on a farm in South Dakota & always loved animals! Even in Texas most of my adult life ! We live on an acreage so have room for my chickens to free range I have 24 mixed breed, love the variety, my favorite are silkie and Easter egger,salmonfavor, love all I guess! Have had chickens for five years . Decided to get two ducks a magpie & Cayuga , wanted girls but both are boys! So darn cute! They are now 9 months old !
my ducks have started chasing a couple chickens & I see their feathers gone! What can I do to deter them from chasing the chickens would a female duck help? Can you sterilize a duck? Can’t eat my pet ducks ? Distraught thanks for your group of expert advise!

Attachments

• 9A8D4028-516F-4027-8B26-448B43AB3D5C.jpeg
    9A8D4028-516F-4027-8B26-448B43AB3D5C.jpeg
    669.7 KB · Views: 6
FARMER CON BALLONS COPY.gif

Hi I am Pat from Austin Texas. I grew up on a farm in South Dakota & always loved animals! Even in Texas most of my adult life ! We live on an acreage so have room for my chickens to free range I have 24 mixed breed, love the variety, my favorite are silkie and Easter egger,salmonfavor, love all I guess! Have had chickens for five years . Decided to get two ducks a magpie & Cayuga , wanted girls but both are boys! So darn cute! They are now 9 months old !
my ducks have started chasing a couple chickens & I see their feathers gone! What can I do to deter them from chasing the chickens would a female duck help? Can you sterilize a duck? Can’t eat my pet ducks ? Distraught thanks for your group of expert advise!

Welcome to BYC! Definitely stop by the duck forum for more opinions...

I have this same problem out of my drake. It's really bad this time of year because they are starting to mate pretty heavily. During the day when they free range the chickens usually just avoid him, but when it is time to be penned for the night, I have to have separate pens for ducks and chickens.
Also, the benefits won't outweigh the risks in having your drake fixed. I don't think vets are willing to do it, and I certainly don't advise anyone to try it themselves.

Back
Top Bottom