New member.

Hiya, Vickie, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

I have silkies. You're going to love them!!

They are like most chickens when it comes to getting them to go into a coop. The first couple of nights you may have to herd them there. Putting a light on in the coop to illuminate the chicken door helps. If your coop isn't lit, just use a solar lamp or something inside the door.

Four days seems to be the norm for how long it takes a silkie to learn something. 😊

You may need to get/make ramps to get into the coop or once in there so they can get up to a roost or nest as they don't fly and aren't good jumpers. They will quickly learn how to climb ramps, but if not, use a few meal worms to entice them up.

Good luck! If you need any help, just ask!

Just started my chicken journey for the second time. First time neighbors complained. Now on two acres with no restrictions. I have 15 one week old silkies I ordered online. I heard about this site when I purchased a 2009 Book “Raising Chickens for Dummies”, authored by Kimberly Willis and Rob Ludlow, owner, Backyard chickens. I hoping the information is still viable. I like to plan ahead. I was researching about when I move them into a coop. How do you get them to go in a night? Thanks.
Welcome. The book is still very pertinent. Some of us wait for our chickens to go in freely, and others like me, herd our chickens in about 1/2 hour before sundown.

Back
Top Bottom