wyk-chick

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 9, 2012
Hello,
I just joined BYC after "lurking" for a while. My husband and I started our flock back last May after reading about all the great ideas on this forum. We got 6 Anconas and thing were great for about 3 months until Mr Bear came visiting one morning. Unfortunately we lost all six chickens. We immediately reinforced the coop and went out to get 6 new chicks - 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Plymouth White Rock. The girls are now about 22 weeks old and just starting to lay.

WelcometoBYC.gif

frow.gif

A bear ate your chickens? What kind of changes did you make to bear-proof your chicken coop?

The coop door was secured by just a small piece of wood. My husband put an additional piece of wood horizontally across the bottom of the inside of coop door to make sure that no predator will get a paw underneath for leverage. The small piece of wood to close the door was replaced by 2 barrel locks. Also, two hook style locks now secure the nesting box and additional heavy wiring through the mesh of the tractor/run. If any new large predetors show up, we are ready to install an electric fence around the entire coop area.

Back
Top Bottom