New member.

JnLn2cs

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Alabama
Since my family (me, my husband & our 2 girls ages 4 & 7) moved to a property with a few acres of land (its been a year & a half), all my husband(Justin) talked about was wanting some chickens & turkeys. Most times, I would just think to myself "yeah.. ok" or dismiss it. Easter comes around & Justin asks me "what about getting the girls goats for their Easter present?" Hmmmm....goats? Seriously?? Well, a few days before Easter, we go to a family friend's who has been raising goats for 20+ yrs, get 2 goats (boy/girl). So on the ride home Justin says "so now that we have a fenced in area I want to get some chickens to add". I replied " i have no clue how to raise/care for chickens! Heck, i just did some googleing about goats!". Ok lets see how everything goes with the goats. Two months later, we've come to an "agreement" about getting chickens; ended up with 2 hens & a rooster from one of my stepdad's workers & a coop. Our girls loved them!!..Justin probably more so than them. Haha :) . Everyday I could just sit for hours & watch them. Our now almost 5yr old somehow manages catching the 2 hens & walks around with one in each arm, smiling from ear to ear. Just recently, we got a male/female royal palm turkeys & a bronze breasted(?) tom. For now, i think we are done adding more animals.
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Welcome to the flock. I would love to see a photo of your 5 year old with a hen in each arm. Kids seem to have a way with animals.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We are here to help in any way we can. We used to have some Nubian goats, and now my son-in-law wants to raise goats. I'm all for it and willing to help him in any way that I can. What kind of chickens did you get?

Thank you. Ive heard lots of good things about BYC from different chicken people so i thought id try it out.I think 1 of the hens is a red star? Im really not too sure. Ive tried figuring it out by reading different poultry books & sites, and each has said 1 thing & look that breed & its not ...and so on. We have billy goats. Now they are entertaining for sure!! :))

Thank you. Ive heard lots of good things about BYC from different chicken people so i thought id try it out.I think 1 of the hens is a red star?

Red Stars are one of a number of different labels under which hatcheries such as Murray McMurray sell Red Sex Link hybrids. If that's what you have, you will be happy with her as they are egg laying machines. If you want any of your chicken breeds identified, just post a picture of them (full body profile showing legs and tail) and we can probably ID them for you. Good luck with your flock and goats.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! I had to smile when I read about your 5yo with the chickens. Mine did the same when he was younger. The Learning Center here has a wealth of information and advice on chicken keeping and if you're looking for more info on goats, or just want to chat with other goat enthusiasts, check out our sister site, BackYardHerds.com. Enjoy!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Enjoy your flock of critters and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom