alexvgs

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
Hi,

I've lived in Frederick County MD since 2010. I'm interested in raising backyard chickens and goats. I'm not a farmer by trade - but would liek to live naturally and eat organic. Currently I buy everything I need from the local COOP or from local farms. I'd like to start growing my own food and raise chicken for eggs. I'm married and have a family. I have 0.45 acres total.

I'm currently zoned as Residential. I live outside the frederick city limits (near lewistown). Has anyone submitted a letter to Frederick county so far to convert their residential property to limited ag use? If you could please share a sample letter I'd appreciate it. I would like to keep chickens for eggs (personal consumption and not commerical). I'd also like to keep a couple of goats for mowing the lawn and controlling weeds. If it is possible I'd like to keep a few guinea hens to control ticks. How do I frame the letter? Any help with wording would be appreciated as I'm not a very conversational type of person and certainly not talented at writing convincing letters :). Also are you aware of any limits on how many total livestock you can have in total (chickens+goats+guinea hen) ?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Hi,

I've lived in Frederick County MD since 2010. I'm interested in raising backyard chickens and goats. I'm not a farmer by trade - but would liek to live naturally and eat organic. Currently I buy everything I need from the local COOP or from local farms. I'd like to start growing my own food and raise chicken for eggs. I'm married and have a family. I have 0.45 acres total.

I'm currently zoned as Residential. I live outside the frederick city limits (near lewistown). Has anyone submitted a letter to Frederick county so far to convert their residential property to limited ag use? If you could please share a sample letter I'd appreciate it. I would like to keep chickens for eggs (personal consumption and not commerical). I'd also like to keep a couple of goats for mowing the lawn and controlling weeds. If it is possible I'd like to keep a few guinea hens to control ticks. How do I frame the letter? Any help with wording would be appreciated as I'm not a very conversational type of person and certainly not talented at writing convincing letters :). Also are you aware of any limits on how many total livestock you can have in total (chickens+goats+guinea hen) ?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Hay Alex most county records offices have people who will work with you and they might be able to tell you what you need if they already do not have a form already made out and also do you have your property fenced off as this can make all the difference in containing and protecting your live stock .........

I live one block outside the city limits and I am allowed to shoot varmints and pest but I also need to produce the kill for the Deputies if they need to make a report as sometimes I get a neighbors pet who was on the hunt and everyone knows every owners pet wont hurt your livestock but guess what .......

Can you see the fence in the background it goes all the way around the property and yes diggers still get in ......

Hi everyone,
My name Is Gary ,I am from Windsor, Ontario Canada,... I have been breeding pigeons for many years. My all time favorites were the Valencianos and Laudinos Sevillanos Spanish pouters but I had to sell them after a Separation. Today I need to renew challenge.. I would like to find someone in Canada that has Spanish thief Pouters.. I want to fly and enjoy them once again!!!

Hope to hear from someone soon,

My email is [email protected]
Thanks

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Good luck with all your planning!

I am no help with what you are wanting to know! Gander007 has given you lots of good advice.

[COLOR=222222][COLOR=000000]Hi everyone,[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]My name Is Gary ,I am from Windsor, Ontario Canada,... I have been breeding pigeons for many years. My all time favorites were the Valencianos and Laudinos Sevillanos Spanish pouters but I had to sell them after a Separation. Today I need to renew challenge.. I would like to find someone in Canada that has Spanish thief Pouters.. I want to fly and enjoy them once again!!! [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222][COLOR=000000]Hope to hear from someone soon, [/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222][COLOR=000000]My email is  [email protected][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222][COLOR=000000]Thanks[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Glad you joined!

Gander007,

Yes I do have a fence all around the property. On one side it is 6 ft high. The rest is 4 ft. You mentioned diggers... If you have a good farm/ guard dog like an Anatolian, would it possibly keep the varmits and the neighbor's cat out?

Thanks,
Alex

IF you have a good Anatolian that won't harm your chickens, then YES, it should protect your flock and deal with predators.

4 foot fence is pretty low, and won't keep predators out - they can jump it or climb it easily. Even a 6 ft. fence may not stop them. If they can't get in one way, they will try another - like digging under.If the openings are large enough in the fence, they can reach through and mutilate your birds.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

A 4-foot tall fence won't keep all predators out, but it will help. I would be concerned about animals burrowing beneath the fence, though.

Back
Top Bottom