Thanks to all for your input. Now I am really worried! The feed store said the silkie was a rooster, my son says its a hen! How can I know? I really have only heard He/She talk to me, but not crow. He/She is solid white, long silkie feathers, and beautiful azure blue ears. The lady who owned it lives in the city limits and cannot have a rooster, only hens, and thought she had 3hens. Hellppppp!!!:he

Thanks to all for your input. Now I am really worried! The feed store said the silkie was a rooster, my son says its a hen! How can I know? I really have only heard He/She talk to me, but not crow. He/She is solid white, long silkie feathers, and beautiful azure blue ears. The lady who owned it lives in the city limits and cannot have a rooster, only hens, and thought she had 3hens. Hellppppp!!!
he.gif

Just post a picture of your Silkie along with its age on our What Breed or Gender is This? section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this, and our experts there should be able to tell you whether it is a rooster or hen. Good luck in having a hen. :eek:)

Hi y'all! Well, it has been about 6 weeks and my silkie roo has taken over as head of his coop! He is quite the Casanova to his 9 hens.I am keeping my fingers crossed that someone will go broody so I can become a chickieGranny. When DOES a hen go broody? Mine don't seen interested in sitting on their eggs. I even let 12 eggs accumulate in the nest, nada. Also, they don't eat a lot of their feed. Once a day I give them fresh chopped kale and some corn on the cob.. Am I doing something wrong? I need some wise answers from my wise friends!

Back
Top Bottom