ibchattycathy5

Hatching
Jan 28, 2015
Hi, All and I am a new member :eek:)) Could someone please tell me how many chickens we are allowed to raise in yuma az and what are the best to lay as we would like layer hens. Thanks!

Hi :welcome
Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question but I'm sure if you drop by this section of the forum someone could help you. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-amp-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

For good laying hens I would reccomend red or black sex links. They produce many eggs and are an easy hen to start out with. Relatively docile and an all good bird. They are what I started out with and have not looked back since.

Wishing you the best of luck and be sure to ask all the questions you need to. Enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Have a look here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/3/Laws

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I don't know the answer to your question about how many chickens you can have in Yuma, but I can help you with your question about the best layers. The best layers in the chicken world are White Leghorns (for white eggs), and Black and Red Sex Links (for brown eggs). All three of these are egg laying machines, churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year, but I personally prefer the sex links as White Leghorns are high strung and flighty. My Leghorns screamed bloody murder whenever I handled them (it's why I don't have Leghorns anymore). Both sex link varieties are great, but I personally prefer the Black Sex Links over the Red Sex Links as my Blacks have been friendlier, and have laid slightly better in really cold winter weather. But you can't really go wrong with either sex link variety. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever kind of layer you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I don't live near you, so I unfortunately can't be of much help in that regard. But, I will say that some of the best layers are Leghorns, Sex-Links, Australorps, Rhode Island Reds, and Plymouth Rocks. If you get one of those breeds, you should be very happy with egg production.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom