chkva

Songster
Mar 20, 2015
Hi, I just recently purchased my first 6 chicks and I am new to this whole chicken deal. I am not too familiar with anything about chickens at all, but with the help of some of my friends I have been able to get I think enough information to get me started. I am using my chickens for pets and for eggs. I would love to get information for what I should look out for with my chickens or what to feed them. I am trying to feed them all organic, but I heard that they like treats. What treats are good for chickens? I have read so many articles on BYC, but I prefer to actually hear from other chicken owners. I hope that everyone is having a nice first day of Spring!
bun.gif

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your new chicks :celebrate
My chickens love meal worms and veggies the best as treats. They also have a mixed poultry corn once per day as a treat to scratch about on the floor. All my birds are at various ages so they have either chick crumb, growers or layers pellets available at all times depending on their age. This way they get all the nutrients/vitamins/minerals they need to grow into healthy adult birds.
I use this link for extra ideas on treats https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/treats-for-chickens

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC, I am sure you will everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

I am not sure how old they have to be when you introduce treats, but I have not tried yet. I bought my chicks at TSC on March 15th and there was a mix up on the breeds that they had because someone dumped all the chicks into the metal brooders without labeling. So we have been trying to have people guess what they are and so far everyone has come up with 6 different breeds that they could be. I think we may have to wait till they are a tad bit older to know what they are. TSC is a complete headache!!!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Your chicks are super cute!

Young chicks should only eat oatmeal, eggs and maybe some a few mealworms until they reach 8 weeks. Then they can have fruits, veggies, breads, etc.

It doesn't hurt to hold off on treats (mealworms, etc) until they are older. When they start eating things other than their chick feed, they will need grit. Too many treats can be like giving candy to kids. Pretty soon they just want candy and won't eat the healthy stuff. Good luck with your babies they are very cute. When they are older you can post photos at "what breed or gender is this." BTW Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad to have you join the flock.

Back
Top Bottom