arotherham

Hatching
Mar 22, 2015
Good morning!! I'm new to this site. I look forward to reading post and learning from others. I'm on week 3 of owning chickens. I have 3 young hens (not laying yet). I have chicken coop that has a second story. These little ladies won't go to the second part. I don't know if it's because they aren't big enough or what. I hope they figure it out.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

You might try closing them into the upper level overnights, and letting them back out during the day. Once they are used to the area they will likely use it just fine.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2, try putting the chicks in the upper level a few times, they should figure out how to go up and down if they want to... if it is a ramp leading to the second story, make sure it is not too steep or slippery etc.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too have had this problem before but after a few days of putting them up they soon figured out what the ramp was for and got the idea. I did add some gripper tape to the ramp so they were more comfortable going up and down.

Wishing you the very best of luck with this new chicken adventure. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hi! We closed the girls in the second story every night and it wasnt too long before the worked out it is their safe zone... If we are raking the exercise yard or introduce new things we find them up the ramp and on their roost. Though when they were young we did find them huddled in the exercise yard sleeping... Lucky weather is pretty mild here.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I've always found that once you show chickens they can do something, they do it almost immediately after.

Back
Top Bottom