1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New members!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenlover235, Oct 31, 2015.

1. chickenlover235

chickenlover235 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is the newest member Halloween! Born on 10-31-15. It's a blue silkie, sadly it's not black haha![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Tenshi (Angel. Born on 10-26-15. It's also a blue silkie.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Cute costumes.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Your Blue Silkie chick is adorable. Thanks for posting the pic. :eek:) You have a beautiful flock. Thanks for posting the pics. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

5. Bababoda

Bababoda New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    I am debating about raising chickens, my husband says it a lot of work, but I am willing to give it a try. Any suggestions as to the start

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    First, familiarize yourself with what's involved in raising chickens. Our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center is a good place to do that. There is lots of useful information there. You will also need to determine what your main purpose in raising chickens is; for eggs? For meat? For pets? If eggs is your main priority, sex links would be your best layers for brown eggs and White Leghorns for white eggs. These breeds will consistently churn out more than 300 large eggs per hen per year. If you want meat, Cornish cross is the way to go. With their fantastic growth rates, they are ready for butchering a 8 weeks. If you are looking for lap pets, there are a number of breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle such as Australorps, Orpingtons, Silkies, Cochins, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles. If eggs are also important, Australorps are the best layers on this list. Raising chickens is a lot of work, but it is very rewarding and I'm sure you will come to love your chickens as I do mine.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think blue silkies are especially beautiful.

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

10. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by