New memeber with questions!

Gone Quackers

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
Minnesota
Hello everybody, my name is Kari and I live in Minnesota. Me and my family have a small flock of chickens (10) and we love them so much. This year I decided to raise 6 flying mallards of my own and they have been such a joy! They are already 7 weeks old today! I have had such a great time watching them grow and develop into beautiful, mature birds.

My first question is, what should I be feeding them? The ducks have 3 acres to roam and eat bugs, weeds ect. all day, so right now i've just been giving them cracked corn when come up on the deck and ask... but I know corn will fatten them up and I dont want fat ducks that wont fly. I live in a small town and the local feed store doesnt have any duck feed, is reguar chicken feed ok or better then the corn?

My second question is, are all my ducks hens? Some ducks have darker beaks with darker feet and some have lighter beaks with lighter feet. Is that just because they are all unique or are there heads are the last color to change? I just find it strange that I dont have a single drake!

Thanks everybody!

1. Even with free ranging they need a better feed than Cracked Corn. Unmedicated Chick starter is fine.

2. Also no all of your ducks are most likely not females. You should be able to voice sex them at this age. Females will have loud quacks while males will be raspy.

You should come join us down in the duck section!

Last edited:
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!

Thank you! My two biggest ducks are the ones that like quack the most-- sounding the alarm whenever there is something different in the yard
smile.png

Hello and :welcome

Some good advice from Kevin there... from my brief stint with ducks I know that you can tell the different genders from the voices, I always used to describe it as a "quack" for the females and a softer "quork" for the males.

Very cute pictures!!
Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Back
Top Bottom