new memeber!!

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

Yeah i raised it they knocked it over several times, water everywhere. I bought a proper waterer and hung it and they somehow got a pile of straw under it that left it unbalanced.

Sure enough water everywhere lol

Well last night was the first of 3 days of -27...well turns out it got as low as -28 windchill -42 I know I prob sounds silly but i got up every 4 hrs to check on them. one trick i figured out is to fill their waterer with warm almost hot water (which my girls don't touch until its cooled), plus on a metal plate i haven iron kettle full of boiled water next to the waterer. This adds a bit of radiant heat and prevents water from freezing over fast. They also seem to enjoy warm water before bed with their cracked corn. With this and the mylar lining my chickens survived day 1of 3 of this seasons worst weather. I did a few other things but i was very worried last night an they're not frost bitten either. But i still have 2 more days of this. This morning I also added mylar on the floor and put fresh straw over it. Not sure if this will work for others but its doing the trick with my sexlink hens....fingers crossed on the next 2 of 3 days.

Thanks! I want to breed my biggest and best. Winters here are colddd. So far I still get 6-7 eggs a day from my 8 hens but some of my hens are small (the ones that are mostly red, the big ones are mostly black) if that means anything? My girls are sassy so yeah hoping for no added aggression. Other than a few weeks of quarantine to make sure he is healthy, is it as easy as putting him straight in or does it have to be more gradual?

You're welcome. Anytime you introduce a new chicken (either male or female) to your flock, you need to do so carefully using the "look but don't touch" method. There's a good article at https://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens/ explaining how to do it.

I was thinking about introducing an icelandic rooster but I can't find any or even a hatchery in canada that have eggs. Can eggs or roosters even be shipped and is it even safe? I suppose I have time to keep searching within ontario my hens are only 9 months old..lol

I was thinking about introducing an icelandic rooster but I can't find any or even a hatchery in canada that have eggs. Can eggs or roosters even be shipped and is it even safe? I suppose I have time to keep searching within ontario my hens are only 9 months old..lol

Yes, you can safely ship either Icelandic eggs or roosters assuming you can locate a source for them that will ship to Canada.

Thanks, good to know. I guess i'm just paranoid of something happening in transport if its from another country and more than one day of traveling. I did find a hatchery in Washington but they never returned my emails...oh well the search continues lol

Thanks, good to know. I guess i'm just paranoid of something happening in transport if its from another country and more than one day of traveling. I did find a hatchery in Washington but they never returned my emails...oh well the search continues lol

You're welcome. Good luck in finding a supplier to ship to Canada.

Back
Top Bottom