New Mexico

HAPPY EASTER!!!
jumpy.gif

Would anyone like to buy some production RIR hatching eggs? I cold probably get 6-7 raked up. I'm hatching chicks from them now and don't have room for eggs right now. Pm me if your interested!

Debating whether or not I should give incubation a try. Does anyone have a used incubator for sale thats pretty much "Foolproof" for a rank beginner
jumpy.gif
Oh, I am in Albuquerque

Last edited:
Debating whether or not I should give incubation a try. Does anyone have a used incubator for sale thats pretty much "Foolproof" for a rank beginner
jumpy.gif
Oh, I am in Albuquerque

Tractor Supply up in Bernalillo has an LG kinda thing that comes with an egg turner -- I was looking at it the other day and thinking the forced air heater on it looks like it might be a digital control rather than a wafer switch. If so, it would probably be comparable to my digitally controlled Genesis which works waaaay better than the old wafer switch stinker that tried to cook eggs as often as hatch them. Wafer switch baters can be touchy and flighty. Not exactly foolproof
sad.png

My Genesis has digital temp control and reads out humidity as well, and is able to maintain stable heat despite room temperature fluctuations. Adding an egg turner can help with hatch rate.

If you manage to find a used styrofoam incubator, be sure to disinfect it thoroughly before you use it. Also check it with a known good thermometer for a few days before you set eggs. Good luck!

Your Genesis is light years better than an LG! Search the threads before you buy.

I've just heard of too many hatches ruined with temperature spikes in an LG.

Well, yes! That's why I have the genesis! Two, actually, and I put my old lg away in a box to have for emergencies only. I have some tricks for it, but the person who asked was looking for something "foolproof for beginners" but not wanting to spend much.
What I was trying to say was that when I was out at tractor supply the other day, I was surprised to see that they were carrying a new incubator that's reminiscent of my genesis and that I think may be digitally controlled and which comes with an automatic turner already in the box. If it's actually digital, it would be a huge improvement for lg and would probably work ok for the poster who's just going to try hatching for the first time.
I tried to find it on the ts website after I saw it in the store, but couldn't find what I thought I saw out in the store - but ts does that a lot... not very consistent in stocking.
But yes, I have been very happy with my genesis, which is (in my view) a great value for the price, even with the cost of the turner added, but my impression was the poster was looking to spend less money than that. On the other hand, I would never ever recommend a beginner buy a wafer switch incubater - that's enough to make a person give up and quit after the first batch of eggs...

Back
Top Bottom