New Muscovies :)

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
We went and picked these guys up yesterday from a really sweet lady that was getting into geese and didn't want to have ducks anymore. There are 7 females & 2 males...

The Chocolates look to be in Heavy molt or something. They all lived in a large pasture/pen with a lot of grass/weeds and such. they were all in need of a good bath though!

I got 3 eggs this morning
smile.png
How long until they're fertile? the hens were seperated form the drakes because she was sick of all the babies
gig.gif

106_0213.JPG

106_0214.JPG

Chocolate Drake
106_0217.JPG

the girls
106_0218.JPG

Black Drake.. She said he is mean as spit but i couldn't turn down that beautiful face!! and I am usually not onme for excessive caruncling!...I think i will name him "Ouija"(like to game)..he's a bit evil looking
tongue.png

106_0221.JPG

Awww! I can't wait until I am able to get some. Muscovy are just an interesting looking fowl.
If the girls were not with any other boys then I would think the eggs would be fertile within a few days. But I know more about chickens than I do about ducks.

Bleenie to the rescue!
wink.png
You're right, they DO look like they could use a few baths. What are your plans for 9 more adult Scovies? I've been SOOOO tempted to pick up a few extra that others don't want but I just don't have the facilities for them. Now, if I could bring myself to reducing my chook flock down to only 12-16 I could rework part of my chook compound into extra Scovy quarters. Hmmmmmm!!!
lol.png
Enjoy your new Scovies!
smile.png

I plan on keeping them for a while but they were never handled at their previous home so if the drakes turn out to be just too mean i may have to rehome them or they'll just be free rangers
smile.png

I've adopted feral-like hens before and the hens usually calm down much more so than the drakes so there could be some hope for them as pets! I am sure it will take some time and plenty of treats to get them used to me though. I think they feel a little more secure in a smaller coop too, they're not near as flighty as they were in the field they were in.

Bleenie,
We have found two ducks in a lake near by when we went for fishing on May 22nd and i guess they were a week old by then and someone might have left. Now thery are 7- 8 weeks and huge.we googled and gussing they are muscovies. One is brown and one is grey. Since we cant raise them in the residential area and also since they are big enough to survive we want to give them away to a loving good home where they will not be killed . They are very very health and loving birds. very quite but active.

Please let us know if you have bandwidth to adopt .

We live in ILLINOIS.

Hi Congrats : )
I have been wanting chickens but now want 2 duck hens, I like cambells but I head they are loud and I am going under the radar so I need quiet ducks that could sleep in a HUGE dog crate in my room and play outside for most of the day. And I herd scovies dont quack just make a hum/hissing noise.

Muscovies are wonderful & would be perfect for "secret city ducks" but you do have to make sure to clip their wings because they love to roost and the females can fly fairly well...the males are usually too fat
tongue.png

kssc22, I would love to adopt them but i am too far away and can't afford to pay the shipping costs. I hope you can find a good home for them somewhere near you. Thanks for the offer though.
smile.png

I am sure you can find someone locally that might have some babies. Feed stores here are still selling them and buying them from me when they have space. I really do believe it's one of those stupid laws/regulations that will RARELY be enforced.

There's even still lots of Muscovies listed on craigslist here & i have had mine listed also.

Back
Top Bottom