New Neighbors = pit bull = dead chickens

I am so sorry, I have an 8 year old and I mentioned to him yesterday that maybe we could give his two hamsters to his cousins, who would LOVE them to pieces, and he got all weepy and emotional
hit.gif
over that (he has mice, rats, fish, rabbits and two dogs plus a cat, he would not be without company!) so I could just imagine what this terrible incident is doing to your little guy. What a shame. Does your area have pit bull ordinances? If not, might want to check into the zoning and see what can be done. I am NOT being against pits, my kids have had them off and on for years, and they were great pets. It's all in who has them and what they do to them. . .my daughter is moving soon out of her house because a neighbor moved in with a 9 mo. old pit bull that is friendly, but he also weighs almost 100#'s already, and they aren't taking the chance of something horrible happening with their 3 year old and their little Boston Terrier. Naturally, the new renter put him 6 feet away from their driveway, so there is no getting away from him. I hope your little guy just gets better and says, MORE chickens, please!!!

I'm really sorry for your loss and more angry at the owners ! I have a Staffy and she wouldn't hurt no one or nothing and I used too be predjudice also against them till I got her. It is the owners not knowing how too raise them.

Quote:

It's important to report any such incident to Animal Control, even if it doesn't seem like they do anything about it at the time. It provides them a "resume" on the offending dog should there be future incidents.

My 85-year-old MIL was attacked from behind by a pit bull and a rotweiler while taking her customary morning walk. The rotweiler barked and foamed at the mouth but it was the pit bull that viciously attacked her. Took hunks of flesh from her ankle area and thigh (trying to bring her down) so huge the areas could not be stitched. She considers it a miracle that she was walking next to a house with a wall by the sidewalk that she could cling to, as she is convinced that if the dog could have pulled her to the ground it would have killed her. The ordeal lasted at least a few minutes before the dogs were scared away by a passerby.

Granny called us and 911. I called Animal Control because I knew if they didn't find the dogs she might have to have rabies shots on top of everything else. They went door-to-door until they found the dogs. The pit bull had a documented history of biting humans, and, while our laws do not give Animal Control the right to force a dog to be put down, the owners were induced to do so by the threat of a civil suit.

MIL is tough and spry and has recovered well, although with hideous scars. But she is now terrified of dogs other than our own and it has greatly affected her quality of life. All bad dogs should be reported - we need to get them off the street and off the farm!

Be very careful about shooting any pet. You can actually get more time in Jail (at least in certain parts of Michigan) for discharging a firearm out of season, or animal cruelty.

That being said, in the area where I live, the police and DNR have advised us to shoot and kill any troubling animals that come on our property. Dogs included

I'm so sorry about your losses and that your son will have to face this heartbreak. I'd report it and I'll explain why.

This animal is not only a proven livestock killer, but it's possible he has attacked before. After all, he broke through a barrier. What if he goes for your son? You? You have been reasonable, God bless you, and if this dog is going to live next door, you are not safe. Wait until the Easter week-end is over if you must and see what the neighbors do for your loss, but report it anyway. Tell them you have done it. In fact you should compose a letter and register it to them in the mail.

There used to be a vicious dog on the property below ours and over time he killed some pets (not proveable) then moved up to attack little girls on the public road that goes past that house. One girl was hospitalized and is badly scarred on the face and neck. This is what it took for everyone to get serious. Yet if the dog had chased a cow the farmers would have hunted him down and killed him immediately.

Also, if you can, do a little checking. Sometimes when people own a vicious pet they will relocate. It's possible this dog has attacked before and it would be useful to know.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that
hugs.gif
I love my pit bulls but you have to train them and a sturdy fence is a must. I just finished building my coop and run and my dogs will stare at my chickens and charge the fence even with me in the yard and having gone through obedience training. I do not let the dogs out without supervision. If one of my dogs got out and attacked a neighbor's pets or livestock I would have them put down myself.

Back
Top Bottom