New Nesting Boxes

Rocknominoe

In the Brooder
May 24, 2017
Battle Ground
So my chickens were in a PVC coop, covered with a tarp, and had a nesting box that was a tote with a lid.

They were there for a year and I felt they needed a new place so I moved them to an very large A-Frame coop. They have enough place to be in the run and I have a platform for them to nest on that is separate from where they roost. I know the coop portion is small but they don't have any problem fitting all 4 in there at night.

So the first week I put their old nesting box in the run portion and they laid eggs every day in it. Then I took it out and no eggs. I was lucky to get 1 a day. So I figured my nesting boxes weren't up to their standards. I covered the clear roofing panel with a tarp to make it dark. I cut down some old totes that were similar to their old ones and put them there. But still they won't nest in them. I'm just out of ideas on what to do. They will get in and move all the shavings out but no eggs. And I know my girls, they can hold it until it drops out somewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_2874.JPG
    IMG_2874.JPG
    677.6 KB · Views: 14
Do they free range? Could they have chosen a new nesting spot outside the run?

Edited to add: Do you have any pics of your old & new setups?

I so I put 4 plastic eggs in the boxes and they ended up kicking them out of it and into the bottom of the run. so that was a bust. I was going to put their eggs in there but they ended up eating one. I have an egg eater too.

They've gone from ranging during the day to being cooped up all day. No pictures of the old coop as I repurposed the materials to build it. Just got pictures of the new set up I can try to post. My last picture didn't add to well

Ok so I have what's left of the old coop with their old box in it. And the pictures of the new coop with the nesting boxes and a pic to where their roosting rod is.

If I just put that stupid pink box in the bottom of their run they'll lay eggs in there! But my goal is to not climb in to get eggs every day and accidentally let them out.

Attachments

• IMG_2877.JPG
    IMG_2877.JPG
    606.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2876.JPG
    IMG_2876.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2875.JPG
    IMG_2875.JPG
    902 KB · Views: 13
So my chickens were in a PVC coop, covered with a tarp, and had a nesting box that was a tote with a lid.

They were there for a year and I felt they needed a new place so I moved them to an very large A-Frame coop. They have enough place to be in the run and I have a platform for them to nest on that is separate from where they roost. I know the coop portion is small but they don't have any problem fitting all 4 in there at night.

So the first week I put their old nesting box in the run portion and they laid eggs every day in it. Then I took it out and no eggs. I was lucky to get 1 a day. So I figured my nesting boxes weren't up to their standards. I covered the clear roofing panel with a tarp to make it dark. I cut down some old totes that were similar to their old ones and put them there. But still they won't nest in them. I'm just out of ideas on what to do. They will get in and move all the shavings out but no eggs. And I know my girls, they can hold it until it drops out somewhere.

Hey there can you shut the door and lock them in for a week they will learn where to lay
they are being normal just now but need to learn your not far from me

Back
Top Bottom