New one to me! HELP!

MrsDeb

Songster
9 Years
Jun 27, 2010
Somewhere White and Cold
I have a brand new little Lav Orp chick who just hatched about 2 hours ago. I have never seen this so I was wondering what everyone thought? Is this it's yolk sack or do you think it
could possibly be gutt....Ugh I hope not!
fl.gif

ANY help appreciated!

guttyolk.jpg

Last edited:
I guess since no one is awake I'll know in the morning...It'll break my heart if this little one
passes. It was the only one to hatch out of 2 dozen eggs. The post office was horrible to them!

I wonder if it's a little bit of a prolapsed vent. Some people recommend preparation-h to shrink it. On a full grown hen, I'd recommend pushing it in. Why not wait and see what some others suggest. There have been other little chickies here with the same problem, if that's what it is. Check it out and hopefully more will comment.

chkn,

That's a really good guess, but it's vent is up by my thumb. I don't know, maybe you're right. I'm headed to bed and hope the
best for the little guy
sad.png
Thank you for your reply!

Does anyone else have thoughts on this? The little guy is still
alive and doing well. Slow to get up on his feet but thats ok...I was just thankful
to see him alive this morning...
I havent had much sleep, I saw somewhere, where someone was putting iodine on
the opening? Is this a good idea?

Quote:
Deb this is definitely some of the yoke sac that hasn't absorbed completely. I have had a couple chicks with this before. The first was a hatch that was at home and got a little bity RIR pullet Friday it was really tiny so they gave her to me. I didn't notice this on her because it had already started drying up. I have left it alone and she seems to be doing fine.

If you have other chicks please seperate it from them as they can start to pick on it and cause problems. I didn't seperate my hatchling and they pulled it out of him and it died 4 days later. Keep the area clean as you can and it should fall of once it dries up, but don't cut it off or mess with it.

I wish you lots of luck and prayers for the little one to be ok.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! It does look a little better this morning. It's flattened out now.

Only having had one little guy make it, it's been a tough night for me to make sure
it survives. I wish someone with Lav Orps could just send me a box full of chicks to keep it company but that's asking
a lot of my pocket book! LOL!

Thank you everyone for your help! I really do appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom