New owner of a bevy of Peacocks need advice

Peacock Ranch

Hatching
May 24, 2018
Hi all,

new to the BYC! been reading a lot here since last year when i acquired a 4 acre property that came with resident Peacocks, 2 males and 8 females. I decided to join because of all the useful information i was reading on here an decided to share my experience to learn and also may help another person in my situation. The mommas started coming out with their babies and im afraid most will be lost to predators. The Peacocks are free ranging/wild birds. They come to my barn but dont depend on my for food. They roost in my trees by the barn and makes their rounds from my property to the neighbor who also has 4 acres of property. I want to keep some but also give some to friends who have large properties and just come here to watch them strut around my property. The older gentleman i bought the ranch from said they predate him and the Peacocks have been there for more than 30 years!

Questions i have,

How old do chicks have to be before i take them from the mommas to raise myslef? im looking to thin the herd by giving /selling some away and keep predators from taking most of them.

should i keep just the current 2 males?

can i introduce more males to the flock?

how old do i keep them enclosd until i let them out with the herd to fend for themselves?

For a group of birds that have fended for themselves and survived for 30 years, I think their current model is good enough. So many times our 'help' is counterproductive and a detriment to them. Those chicks although being open to prey are healthier in their flock than being penned. Free range birds are not subjected to walking in their own feces all the time like a penned bird is. For that reason, if you 'need' to thin the flock just catch them and rehome them without penning. Do keep at least two mature cocks, you never know when one might die and the other will ensure the survival of the flock.

It is going to be really hard to catch the peachicks, they can fly from a very young age. I read that peachicks commonly die from disease when they are free range, I don't think there are many predators that could easily catch a peachick, the moms are usually very protective.

I was able to catch a few of the 4 the first momma came out with, i gave them back to her. She is not agressive to me i believe because she know me. I feed them treats all the time and they come within a ft or two of me but i have never hald any of them. i been here over a year and this is the first time i will see the babies, last year Hurricane IKE kept the eggs from hatching. Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom