New Owner to Old Chickens

LaughingFlock

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
I've got six hens that I got from a family member. Recently, we've gotten some strange eggs and I'm trying to trouble shoot. We got a tiny egg, sorry no pics, but it was the size of a grape. The next day we got an egg with no shell. I know my 2 RIR are older, maybe 5 years old? Despite having 6 hens, the most eggs we've gotten in a day is 3. So, any ideas on what's causing this? Are they just too old?

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Ya, if you have older birds, it is probably mostly related to age. Chickens tend to gradually lay less eggs as they get older, the general rule of thumb is they will lay about half at age five of what they did at a year old. Older hens will also lay more odd eggs, shell-less eggs, odd shaped ones, the the tiny one/ wind eggs etc, especially when beginning or ending a laying cycle.

Welcome to BYC!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Ya, if you have older birds, it is probably mostly related to age. Chickens tend to gradually lay less eggs as they get older, the general rule of thumb is they will lay about half at age five of what they did at a year old. Older hens will also lay more odd eggs, shell-less eggs, odd shaped ones, the the tiny one/ wind eggs etc, especially when beginning or ending a laying cycle.

X2

images

Occasionally hens lay mishappen eggs...small ones, soft ones, ones without shells, funky shaped eggs, etc...If it starts to become a habit, then you would need to be concerned. As for soft or shell less eggs, this can happen if the hen isn't eating enough of her layer feed to get enough calcium to put a shell on the egg, she may be getting older and not able to absorb enough calcium to put one on, or her age is causing her shell gland to malfunction. So just make sure to keep the treats to a minimum, especially this time of year when there is less light and time to eat layer feed, and make sure to always keep oyster shell available. Keep it right next to the water or feed. Hens will not go looking for it, but will readily eat it if in their faces.

As for the smaller egg, a wind egg without a yolk, those happen occasionally. A glitch in the system. As hens age, they can lay less and less eggs each year. The best years for laying are the first 2. By age 3, the egg laying can become less and less frequent each year.

As hens age, they can have some trouble. Just make sure they are on a good diet, lots of oyster shell available and give them extra on the lovin'!

Good luck with your new flock and enjoy BYC!

Welcome to BYC. X 3 on the age factor, also they may be getting ready to take a break before starting another laying cycle.

Back
Top Bottom