New Peachicks...Help would be so appreciated !

MoChkRch

Songster
6 Years
Apr 10, 2018
Just notice 2 peachicks hatched out yesterday...Mom had a nest out back hidden in a bamboo section in my yard. They're both doing good...Now what do I do?...I know Mom will take care of them, but I'm worried about them being vulnerable to other chickens /predators? Should I try to catch them...and keep them in an enclosure to keep them safe....any help would be so appreciated...first time hatching peachicks free range...and I'm a nervous first time Peachick Mom ....plus I'm in California, and we're having a heat wave...I put out shallow water( plant saucers) for them...sorry rambling on:)

I'm sorry I don't see your reply?
I was asking some people I know that have peafowl to help you.
Casportpony also lives in CA.
I don't have any advice for you really. They are great mothers but sometimes they aren't the most bright. I had a peahen who would try to get her young babies to climb the tree at night with her when we free ranged them. The peachicks would try and fail and the cats would try to get them...

I was asking some people I know that have peafowl to help you.
Casportpony also lives in CA.
I don't have any advice for you really. They are great mothers but sometimes they aren't the most bright. I had a peahen who would try to get her young babies to climb the tree at night with her when we free ranged them. The peachicks would try and fail and the cats would try to get them...
Ok thanks !

It really does depend on the hen, some are great and some are not so much. She will protect the chicks from other animals and they will flourish faster than if you take them and try to raise them yourself. You have already given them water now boil an egg and put it in the food chopper with some starter and make them some soft food. They won't eat much at first but they will really like it and will come running when they see you bringing it out. If you have a quiet place for them to stay for a couple of days while the chicks get stronger that is fine too. After about a week or so the hen will try to coax the chicks up to a safe place to roost at night. For about a week you will need to go out and watch that the chicks can make their way up. You may even need to help a straggler, normally she will come down if they can't make it up but sometimes one will have to camp out on the ground if you are not there. This usually is for about a week, by two weeks they can climb up pretty well.
IMG_1576.JPG
IMG_8113.JPG
IMG_8149.JPG

Thanks for your reply.... I will try what you've suggested ...Thank you for your time, and information.
It really does depend on the hen, some are great and some are not so much. She will protect the chicks from other animals and they will flourish faster than if you take them and try to raise them yourself. You have already given them water now boil an egg and put it in the food chopper with some starter and make them some soft food. They won't eat much at first but they will really like it and will come running when they see you bringing it out. If you have a quiet place for them to stay for a couple of days while the chicks get stronger that is fine too. After about a week or so the hen will try to coax the chicks up to a safe place to roost at night. For about a week you will need to go out and watch that the chicks can make their way up. You may even need to help a straggler, normally she will come down if they can't make it up but sometimes one will have to camp out on the ground if you are not there. This usually is for about a week, by two weeks they can climb up pretty well.View attachment 3143908View attachment 3143913View attachment 3143915

My peahen just hatched chicks also! They are currently being kept on our back patio with mama. Do I need to worry about worming them?

Not until about six weeks on the ground, once they pick up a worm egg it needs to grow and produce eggs. Then those eggs have to develop and produce more eggs. Deworming will not kill eggs so you need a load of worms to kill and then treat again in two weeks to get the worms that hatch since the last deworming. We treat our chicks on the ground once per month until winter. We also treat for cocci once per month as well. If you have chicks with their momma free ranging they are less susceptible than chicks in a pen that has been used for years and has worms and cocci in the soil but keep an eye on the chicks and at the first sign of looking 'off' or droopy and sluggish treat asap for cocci.

Back
Top Bottom