Help with peachicks that had to be pulled from mom

Mlwoedl

Hatching
May 21, 2023
Hello! Today I had to pull 2 peachicks from mom for their survival. They always end up missing so we pulled these guys. They haven’t stopped crying out all day, and I’m worried that they’ll stress themselves out too much. Is there anything I can do to ease this? They did fine when I had them in my sweatshirt. But they’re back in their heated area for the night and they’re crying out.

They’ll calm down after a bit. I don’t know much about taking chicks from mommas but I bought chicks from stores (and breeders) and I know that after the first few days they’ll calm down and stop screaming out for you. For my newest batch of chicks it took them a week to stop screaming whenever I leave the room.
I wish you the best for your peachicks!

They’ll calm down after a bit. I don’t know much about taking chicks from mommas but I bought chicks from stores (and breeders) and I know that after the first few days they’ll calm down and stop screaming out for you. For my newest batch of chicks it took them a week to stop screaming whenever I leave the room.
I wish you the best for your peachicks!
Thanks! I’m hoping they’ll calm down and eat soon

Maybe you could work out why they were getting separated from the peahen. Is the area set up in such a way to make it easy for them to become separated? She should call them and keep them with her but if there are too many barriers or spaces for them to get separated it might not be her fault. How old are they? Was she trying to look after them or ignoring them? Are there other peachicks still with her or was it just these two?

In my experience, peahens aren't great at counting so as long as they had most of their peachicks with them, they didn't go looking for stray ones. We changed some things and kept them in a smaller area until that was less of an issue.

I'm just wondering if the best thing would be to get them back to her and make some adjustments to their area so they can't go missing.

Back
Top Bottom