New peafowl!

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
Went to the auction last night, and a woman had 12 young peafowl for sale. She said they hatched in April, making them about 5 months old. She said that she used to have a white male with a IB hen, so they could be crossed with white? Anyway, I got these guys for $25 each, not bad IMO!!

Hen:
DSC00202.jpg

Cock:
DSC00201.jpg

The male was trying to hide, so I didn't get a good pic of him.

Gold star on the nose for you, TeriLaChicks.
smile.png

Usually blue x white crosses have some white on flights and/or chin. Don't see it in those pics.. you will find out once they're old enough to breed- 1/4 white chicks if both had a white parent.

Be sure to worm them if not already and watch their breathing and eating..

Quote:
Watch their breathing for what exactly??

Gape worms will make it hard for them to breath.....worm with safe guard for goats 3 cc per gal of water for 3 days. Do this 30 days after the ivomec pour on.

Yes for sure a pair. dont see split white.

All those birds from many different places in one place plus stress= high potential for exposure to respiratory diseases etc. A healthy bird placed next to a bird from a place that does not take care of them so well........

Ditto for poultry shows. Good idea to quarantine all for 30 days before mixing with flock.

Watch for raspy or labored breathing, sneezing, runny noses/eyes- especially swelling between eye and beak, if there are turkeys at auction, it is almost normal to eventually find one suffering from sinusitis- very infectious, peafowl are very susceptible to it.

yep, that's excellent advice Kev
and Deerman too with the gape worms... seen them both in peafowl, like you said, especially at auctions.. always best to be safe on new arrivals, even if they come from top knotch breeders, I still quarentine

Back
Top Bottom