New Pet Flock size

I have some chicken coop questions.
I don’t know if I should keep starting a new thread for my questions or not.
I don’t want to hijack someone’s thread about their specific coop but I can’t find a general question thread about coops. I’m not quite ready to start my shed conversion so a whole thread would be kind of a waste until I’ve researched some of the specific coop threads.
Does a general chicken coop thread exist?

Welcome to BYC and the wonderful madness of chickens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/helpful-hints-for-building-coops.1191089/page-763 has become more of a chat thread, but there is a wealth of information if you want to skim through back posts.

Go right ahead and start a thread asking for general advice if you like. We don't mind.

Here's a little except from an article I'm working on that might help you:

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop,
  • 10 square feet in the run,
  • 1 linear foot of roost,
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
1 square foot is 1 foot wide and 1 foot tall. Or 2 feet wide and 6 inches tall. Or 4 feet wide and 3 inches tall. Or a triangle under your gable peak that is 2 feet wide at the bottom and one foot tall.

If you're measuring odd sizes in inches you can convert your square inches to square feet here.

Here are some things that are about 4 square feet:

Bathmat, 4.5 square feet
Doormat, 3.9 square feet
Leaf for dining table, 3.5 square feet
3 seed starting trays, 4.1 square feet

0528211134.jpg

Since the minimum advisable chicken flock is 3, you need at least 12 square feet, approximately the size of a pallet. So no coop smaller than 3x4 is actually appropriate for keeping any full-size chickens at all.

0528210943.jpg

This, unfortunately, demonstrates just how inadequate many prefab coops are since many of them are smaller than that despite claiming to house far more than 3 chickens. :(

The 10 square feet of run space might be a little easier to visualize. 2'x5' or a little more than 3'x3'.

Here are some things that are about 10 square feet:

My desk, 9.6 square feet
A large bath towel, 9.1 square feet
Footprint of guest bath/shower combo, 10 square feet
Back bedroom window, 11.9 square feet

For that same minimum advisable, 3 chicken flock you'll need at least 30 square feet in the run. That's 4'x8', or 5'x6', the approximate size of a queen mattress or a modest walk-in closet.

Therefore, if you're wanting 3 chickens and are looking at buying a coop and run you can visualize the size of a pallet next to a queen bed. Or 3 bathmats next to 3 bath/shower inserts. If that won't fit, the coop is too small. :)

Some More Numbers

Height can't compensate for lack of floor space because chickens don't stack for storage, but there are some useful things to consider about height.

First, the base of the coop needs to be deep enough to hold a reasonable amount of bedding. "Reasonable" is a flexible term , but 4-8 inches is a good starting figure. If you're scooping poop daily you only need enough depth to hold sufficient sand/Sweet PDZ/etc, to keep the poops from sticking to the floor. If you're doing Deep Bedding or Deep Litter and want to clean only a couple times a year you might want room for a foot or more of bedding.

Second, the nest boxes, which are usually 12-16" cubes, need to be above the maximum top level of bedding to keep the clean nest lining from being contaminated by the soiled bedding or you will get poopy eggs.

Third, the roost needs to be above the nest boxes so that the chickens will sleep on the roost instead of in the boxes.

Fourth, the ventilation is best placed above the chickens' heads when they're sitting on the roost -- 8-12" depending on the size of the hen and her comb type.

So, the minimum height to get things stacked up correctly is between 3 and 4 feet high, depending on the slope of the roof and exactly how the ventilation is arranged. Additionally, chickens aren't helicopters so they usually fly up and down to their roosts about about a 45-degree angle. That means that the roost should be at least as far from the wall at the end of their landing zone as it is high.

Additionally, many people like to have small coops raised up both so that the chickens can use the area underneath them and so that they can clean more easily, sticking a wheelbarrow or garden cart under the access door and pushing the bedding out instead of forking it up from ground level. 16-18" is probably the minimum to allow full-sized hens to walk around with a little bedding underneath to absorb the poop while much over 24" will become challenging to clean except for the tallest of chicken-keepers.

A useful article on heights: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

Since lumber is sold in multiples of 4 it's actually more practical to make a 4x4x4 coop than a 3x4x3.5 coop. At 4'x4'x4', my Little Monitor Coop is designed to meet all the minimums for a flock of 4, standard-sized hens.

You might also find this helpful, I revisited my newbie questions a decade later: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-newbie-questions-10-years-later.76713/

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters, especially when building your coop.

I can recommend a number of other articles dealing with cold weather, heat, space recommendations, and more as applicable to your situation. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/helpful-hints-for-building-coops.1191089/page-763 has become more of a chat thread, but there is a wealth of information if you want to skim through back posts.

Go right ahead and start a thread asking for general advice if you like. We don't mind.

You might also find this helpful, I revisited my newbie questions a decade later: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-newbie-questions-10-years-later.76713/

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters, especially when building your coop.

I can recommend a number of other articles dealing with cold weather, heat, space recommendations, and more as applicable to your situation. :)
I’m in West Mansfield, Ohio.
I just posted a new thread “Coops, Chickens & Goats” with my coop questions. most of my questions were answered on some of the shed conversion threads.

For whom do you write articles?
That’s a really good one. Great info that I really need.
Is there a way for me to pdf that excerpt and print it?

I am. 4-5 years ago I started working towards this. All I could think of was how cute the little bantams are. I still think so, but after taking little grandkids to chicken farms, the larger ones seemed more easy for them to hold and cuddle. My granddaughter, now 9, took a particular fondness to a Rhode Island Red that followed her for years every time we visited. She’d like one of those now.
how early can they be sexed?

I am. 4-5 years ago I started working towards this. All I could think of was how cute the little bantams are. I still think so, but after taking little grandkids to chicken farms, the larger ones seemed more easy for them to hold and cuddle. My granddaughter, now 9, took a particular fondness to a Rhode Island Red that followed her for years every time we visited. She’d like one of those now.
how early can they be sexed?

Just noting that few chickens like to be picked up, held, and cuddled. They're prey animals and so being held doesn't bring back snuggling with their mother but, instead, makes them feel that they're in the jaws of a predator.

"Friendly" in a breed recommendation usually means that they'll follow you around and gather at your feet rather than beg for petting.

Some DO like it, but most don't.

RIRs have a reputation for being highly dominant and not necessarily good partners for the more docile breeds. I don't know a lot about any of the red breeds because I don't care for red feathers, but they're popular for good reason -- productive, adaptable to a range of climates, etc. :)

Has anyone linked you this breed reference yet?

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Last edited:
I'll throw my two cents in! I'd say, if your aim is a small flock then get at least four chicks. If anything happens to one, you'll still have three. I'll use myself for example: we wanted six chicks, bought eight, one died the day after purchase. We have seven now. Chicken math lol.

Go larger with the coop, whatever square footage you guesstimate, it's never enough!

The majority of chickens do not like being held, but I have several lap chickens. They jump in my lap and enjoy petting. To me, chickens are a lot like cats. Some are more interactive and social than others; when they want attention you will know it, but if you try to demand their attention they peace out very quickly.

As far as breeds go, I'll tell you what my experience has been so far. My Barred Rock and Sapphire Gem are both very much lap chickens. They aren't aggressive in the slightest. I have a very docile Black Copper Maran that kind of does her own thing. I have an Amberlink that started off very sweet but is kind of indifferent now. I have two Starlight Green eggers that had been flighty things since they were chicks, but they run up to me all the time now. I have a Black Australorp that is a bossy loud mouth but has settled once she started laying. She has been aggressive and I had to put her in her place. BAs are known to be very friendly so I don't know what happened there.

Good luck in your journey! This site is an excellent resource.

Back
Top Bottom