New pics of my Mystery Chick. Still wondering…pullet or cockerel???

She’s a gorgeous bird! I want Orloffs!
Thank you! I think so too. When I first found her and posted pics on Facebook I got a few comments along the lines of “Are you sure that’s a chicken?”. People thought she was a hawk lol. I thought “No way! She’s too cute, look at those cheeks!” 😄

Thank you! I think so too. When I first found her and posted pics on Facebook I got a few comments along the lines of “Are you sure that’s a chicken?”. People thought she was a hawk lol. I thought “No way! She’s too cute, look at those cheeks!” 😄
Yeah. So cute. 😍

Wait why are we telling the OP their bird is stunted?? Russian Orloffs are very commonly known for being slow-to-mature and are large birds. They're going to work on building up their frame before getting nicely feathered and that's not a bad thing. It looks to be 6-8 weeks old and a bit too young to sex. There was a breeder on here of Orloffs who was great at sexing chickens but always said to wait on the Orloffs. I personally will not make assumptions yet on gender. :) Repost more pictures in 3-4 weeks+ Here's a thread showing pictures of 6-8 week old Orloffs. Notice how they are not completely feathered in and that's not due to improper rearing, just the breed :)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...loff-chicks-6-8-weeks-old-no-shipping.559894/

Wait why are we telling the OP their bird is stunted?? Russian Orloffs are very commonly known for being slow-to-mature and are large birds. They're going to work on building up their frame before getting nicely feathered and that's not a bad thing. It looks to be 6-8 weeks old and a bit too young to sex. There was a breeder on here of Orloffs who was great at sexing chickens but always said to wait on the Orloffs. I personally will not make assumptions yet on gender. :) Repost more pictures in 3-4 weeks+ Here's a thread showing pictures of 6-8 week old Orloffs. Notice how they are not completely feathered in and that's not due to improper rearing, just the breed :)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...loff-chicks-6-8-weeks-old-no-shipping.559894/
Oh! I’m a dummy then. All the pullets I’ve raised (none of them Orloffs..) have never had bare-ish patches at that size. So I was probably just assuming stuff.

Oh! I’m a dummy then. All the pullets I’ve raised (none of them Orloffs..) have never had bare-ish patches at that size. So I was probably just assuming stuff.
You're totally good and not dumb! I understand what you were seeing :) I've raised quite a few breeds that take awhile to mature which is why I'm thinking it's normal! Does always look a bit weird though! :D

Thank you! I was slow to grow as well and then just ended up staying small (grown woman of 39yrs and 4’11 😂) so me and this little one will get along just fine! 😄♥️

Back
Top Bottom