New pics! Roos or hens? 4 weeks old

redfeather

Songster
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
Here are my chicks.

I /think/ I may have lucked out and gotten 3 hens and one rooster, but only time will tell. And two of these are definately orpington x EE, as they have the pea combs and were hatched with poofy faces (I also watched at least one come out of a green egg.. .so..)

These chicks came from my mixed flock of one buff orpington rooster, 5 EEs, 2 blue cochins, 3 welsummers, 2 RnRs and 5 BO hens, so all chicks are at least half BO, I think two are purebred BO.

Peacomb chick one "Opal"

Peacomb chick two "Spike" (she had a mowhawk like marking on top of her head, hence dad named her that) She is the smallest chick and not as feathered out as the other ones. Still thriving though, so I'm not too worried.

This is the largest chick, I believe she is full buff orpington. She's completely feathered out, very floofy and gorgeous!

And here is what I am absolutely positive is a rooster. I mean, just look at him! His head has taken a long time to feather out, he hatched in my hand with some weird dark spots on his head and near his eyes (dark, like, baldish spots). He looks healthy now though. I think my grandma might fatten him up and butcher him later (I told her she could have him if she wanted). I've been considering trying caponizing, but I would probably end up killing him as it would be my first time.

Anyway, that's all of them! Please let me know your comments and thoughts about what breed mixes and sexes they might be!

Yeah, I think the orp rooster has been very obvious about what he is xD

I"m pretty sure the first EE cross and the orp that's not a rooster are hens...

But the second EE cross, I'm not sure about. It's feathering out slower, and I've heard that can mean rooster? Bah, still hoping for a hen though!

You'll get more replies on the what breed/gender board. The one is obviously a cockerel, the other buff is looking girly but too early to say for sure. The first two will be easier to tell in a couple more weeks when they've finished feathering but I suspect #1 is a pullet and #2 is a cockerel.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom