New player in town

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Two Creeks Farm, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    We havent seen a Yote here in many years, wife has seen two in less then 10 days in the area. Today I found a track, inward middle toes, right size for a smaller Yote. Found them in our ATV trail following a Doe and a Fawn.

Set out traps for coon as one thats been set scored last night as well as another on a feral cat. Looks like I have a new target animal to keep an eye on.....

[​IMG]

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would guess you have a young pair establishing their own range. If you free range, you better get ready for lock down and a fight

3. Two Creeks Farm

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Yep, both sightings the wife said were young yotes. I thought fox at first glance but they were a tad larger and the pad was not shaped right so I knew they had finally made a return (ive killed everyone we have seen here as well as foxes except one slick little grey that I cant get a bullet into.)

I will break out the leg holds tomorrow and start sets

Birds are about as secure as they can be, and im out with them from daylight till dark and I am always armed.....doubt i would get so lucky as to see one stroll by LOL!

I have a firepit that is used daily (cook mainly in it) and I just stoked it for the night. Hopefully between the fire, the dogs and an open bedroom window it will be a quiet night. I also brush hogged heavily today after finding the tracks to throw in alot of open area to hopefully cause some confusion for a night or two.

I threw out a dead coon and will see if its there in the morning. Its been so quiet here that a dead coon or chicken usually lays for a week before the crows even get to it....when we first moved in a coon or chicken was gone before daybreak.

4. Two Creeks Farm

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    All clear last night.....not even a track. I am hoping to clean up any stragglers before I hit the road this weekend. Not that the wife and youngest son cant handle a predator, but the neighbors feel better knowing im the one doing the shooting at 3 am LMAO!

5. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Quote:UH OH! I am taking care of one of my girls that survived an attack two days ago. Good luck!

6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Could it be a pair of grey fox that have moved in? Either way, good hunting!

7. Two Creeks Farm

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Naaa, track is to big for a grey or a red. Almost thought it was a dog but like I said, the rear pad wasnt dog shaped. It was alot easier to see in person then in the picture. Traps are set, we will see if I can catch one. I hope it was just a loner moving through but in all honesty, I know we have been peaceful here for far to long.

8. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    They are all over here in NW GA. You can hear them running the ridge at night. And I've seen them in broad daylight!

9. Two Creeks Farm

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    It will give me something tod o besides tend my birds when I am home throughout the week LOL!

Red light is mounted on the rifle....maybe I will wake the neighborhood up when I hit a rabbit in distress call and send every dog in mass hystaria LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by