1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Godsgrl, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I've read on here about a lot of different predators, and what you have to worry about with chickens. However I've never read about a rooster as a predator. I know they will fight, but still.... We had two that free ranged, and got along well. Goober was the head honcho, and Flyer was under him. They had a good relationship, and we only saw them spar some over food. Generally, they got along great. Then yesterday, in the span of a few seconds, it was over. We'll miss Goober so much, he was definitely a gentle giant. [​IMG]

Our hearts are broken, so please be nice. [​IMG]

2. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I'm sorry you lost your gentle giant. At least he died doing what roosters do. I hope Flyer turns into a good flock leader.

3. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    I'm so sorry to hear about your roo [​IMG]

4. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Thank you

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

so sorry you lost your roo; I was just telling my senior roo today how beautiful he is, what a good fella and protector he is, and how much I love my big Sarge. I know you'll miss Goober; take comfort in knowing he was loved and cared for. BTW, I LOVE your siggy line! [​IMG] I read that and said, "ME TOO!" [​IMG]

6. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    thank you crtrlovr. Those special chickens just have a way of melting into our hearts. I do feel better knowing he had a great life filled with lots of food, freedom to range, and lots of hens.

I'm so happy you like my siggy. It is so true, God has me in His hands, and isn't letting go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by